Cafes in Pond Street and beyond

bellis

Yep & Bridge St. as well I think.

An enduring memory of the Pond Street British Restaurant was the way one of the women, who served the tea, used to fill the cups. The cups were set out in rows of ten or so,in a shallow tray, and she had this very large teapot with a long piece of rubber tube on the spout. She then proceeded to pour, starting at the end of a row of cups and filling all of them in one or two sweeps. All the tea that finished up in the tray, went back in the pot. It was the lousiest tea I've ever tasted, including the Army.

Yeah the one at the bottom opposite SUT Coach Station was the 4 Seasons. There was the middle one near the 41 Bus that was long and thin and did good coffee.

The one near the 41 bus stop was the Four Seasons, the one on the bottom platform near the SUT Coach Station was the Bar Terminal.

• 10 months later...

I got talking to my parents today about old Sheffield and the subject of 'the cafe in the bus station' cropped up. They are sure it was called Four Seasons but I thought it was called Bites.

Was it ever called Bites or was there another cafe in the old bus station called Bites at some point?

When did the Four Seasons actually close for good? I seem to remember the dark (dirty!) windows and it had bright plastic seating, near to the toilets where you walked down (what felt like) hundreds of steps.

Many thanks in advance!

Sh2006.

Wasn't Pond Street the site of one of the wartime 'British Restaurants'?

Yes it was a British restaurants stood where hallam uni Eric mensforth building is now had a carpark at back going on towards station.

Anybody remember Littlewoods coaches setting off from there in 50/60's to go overnight to Torquay.

Maroon and silver coaches had trumpets that played " a hunting we will go"

• 2 years later...
I got talking to my parents today about old Sheffield and the subject of 'the cafe in the bus station' cropped up. They are sure it was called Four Seasons but I thought it was called Bites.

Was it ever called Bites or was there another cafe in the old bus station called Bites at some point?

When did the Four Seasons actually close for good? I seem to remember the dark (dirty!) windows and it had bright plastic seating, near to the toilets where you walked down (what felt like) hundreds of steps.

Many thanks in advance!

Sh2006.

hi,i know this post is a few years old,came across it by accident,you and your parents are both right,it did used to be called the"four seasons",then it got took over and the new owner changed the name to"bites"there were 3 cafes in pond street,bar terminal,bites and crusty cob,i know this for sure because i used to work at the crusty cob,my boss owned all 3 and when we were short staffed we had to fill in at the others,can't remember what year they all closed,does any one else have any memories of pond street cafes??

gosh! this is from a long time ago!!

no, I'm sorry to say, the Minerva is shut. it closed down as the Minerva, and opened for a short time as a "British fare" type place,, but didn't last long, as most of the businesses on the "gallery" had closed by then reducing the passing foot-traffic to virtually nil.

thank you PT, i was trying to remember the mediteranean sounding name of that cafe. i remember playing an extra in a short film called "the greasy spoon" in that cafe. it was sort of up on a balcony bit. the bus engines just outside made filming hard work. the film was about an oldish man (played by known actor whose name i cannot remember but i clearly remember speaking with him) who had a fixation on the young waitress. a young couple in love who were sat at the back of the cafe also featured in the film.

one of my co-extras was called "terry" (real name) who said he was an ambulance attendant in his last film.

it was shot, if i remember, in the early eighties and was my first part as an extra.

i would love to know if the tape still exists. pm me if you have any info.

Archived