Christmas is coming!

It's just another sales opportunity; another aisle in the supermarket, another department in the store.

If the store's customers want to buy tinsel in August - which according to the marketing bods, some apparently do - then they're missing an opportunity for rampant consumerism if they don't deck the halls stack the shelves as early in the season as possible. It's all about making money, after all, and little different from opportunities to do the Christmas shopping in the January sales. As that article said, look out for a year-round 'capsule' Christmas collection probably coming soon.

I'm not too fussed about Selfridges' festivities working their way north. As long as the heaving shelves aren't accompanied by Slade, Greg Lake and Shakin' Stevens blasting through tinny speakers, plus glittery reindeer prancing through the rest of the store, I'd likely be able to go on my merry way as usual, happily ignoring Christmas until December 23rd.

I'm doing my christmas stock purchasing for the shop tomorrow, so you have to think many months in ahead.

And, while August is a bit too early, I know lots of people buy their shopping very early indeed.

But it's a bit much having Xmas stuff rammed down your throat for four months :(

Archived