Foxes- let live, or controlled killing?

Should they be culled, or spared?

I have always been very anti-hunt regarding badgers and foxes (though am not political or an active activist), but having seen the recent headlines regarding the attack on young children, plus many accounts- by professionals of all persuasions- and laymen such as myself, I am not so sure about defending them any more.

I still like the fox, and am loathe to support any demand to slay them, but I'm afraid my patience with them is slipping- they encroach 'human' urban territory (as they have for ages), but is their behaviour becoming more sinister (humanwise), which may be natural to them?

I'm still not ever going to align my views with the repulsive right-wing types who leap on this aging bandwagon, but I foremost don't want anyone's children threatened, by foxes, any other domesticating animal, or evil humans of course.

So, without upsetting the balance of nature permanently, what's the solution?

1 fox attack is no reason to even start to talk about culling.

Its not 1 attack though (How common are fox attacks on humans?), but I dont think its time to start a national cull. Problem foxes need to be dealt with on a case by case basis and this is why I support licensed fox hunting.

Urban foxes are more of a problem than their increasingly distant relative, the countryside red fox, as they are less timid of humans. However, not only are they less timid, they are larger too through interbreeding with other feral dogs. As cities clean up their streets and we become more and more intent of recycling and dispose of our food waste more effectively, urban dog foxes will see their food supply dwindle and start to predate more rodents and family pets, especially when they widen their territories in pursuit of food and find dogs and cats in their way.

I doubt this will be a major problem though, in the grand scheme of things.

I think the issue I see with this is -if you begin with foxes, where does it lead and when does it end?

Some people can die from wasp stings through anaphylactic shock- do we therefore cull wasps?

Some people get bitten by sharks whilst surfing- do we cull all sharks?

I hope you see my point. We live in close conjunction sometimes with wild animals, if you happen to know there's a threat then you have to take reasonable precautions to reduce that threat- with regard to urban foxes- don't leave rubbish in the streets, don't leave your doors open.

It's due to human waste that rats and foxes can live in the cities. If there's a fox problem in your neighbourhood get together with your neighbours to educate them, look for evidence of food waste and get the council to move it.

There are lots of more practical solutions rather than culling city foxes. Simply cull the fox population and the rat population will grow because city foxes will be one of their main predators- they go for the same food source. You need to solve the core issue which is human waste.

Cavegirl, and Serapis, i agree.

I don't want to see the fox persecuted gratuitously, just culled in very controlled and pre-agreed campaigns where the urban feral animal is no medical or physical threat to humans.

I think the issue I see with this is -if you begin with foxes, where does it lead and when does it end?

Some people can die from wasp stings through anaphylactic shock- do we therefore cull wasps?

You can have a wasp nest removed by the council if it is in your loft or causing you a nuisance.

Some people get bitten by sharks whilst surfing- do we cull all sharks?

Sharks do not eat livestock and are an endangered species.

We cull Badgers because some believe they transmit TB to cattle.

I hope you see my point.

Not really as your points are not relevant to the culling of Foxes in the UK.

Guest sibon

Sharks do not eat livestock and are an endangered species.

You can't put a silly red coat on and chase sharks on horseback with your posh mates either.

You need to solve the core issue which is human waste.

There is also an issue of human stupidity. I saw a recent Sky documentary called "Urban Fox Attack" where people were attempting to tame the fox. It even got to a point where people were leaving cake out because "it was their birthday". It is hard to be suprised that foxes are losing their inhibitions towards us when certain people treat them in such a ludicrous manner.

Archived