Foxes- let live, or controlled killing?

You can't know many shooters then.

Most shooters will of course use dogs on a driven game shoot, but not always on a quiet walk-through, and rarley when using rifles as opposed to shot guns

You are aware, are you not, of how self-contradicting the above looks :rolleyes:

- rifle shooting is about stalking and quietness, which few dogs seem to understand fully! In particualr, ve never used dogs when deer shooting or foxing with a rifle - stealth is too important.

Your loss. I'd never dream of not using a dog, regardless of whether I'm after wild boar, deer or hare (I don't intentionally go after foxes - but if they happen to be flushed by the dogs while I'm after the above, well...). Dunno about yours, but mine's pretty quiet until I say otherwise (totally different when there's a pack of them for a driven shoot , that I'll gladly admit).

- Again, your claims to knowing how these things work are deeply, deeply flawed.
And reciprocally, apparently :P

Your loss. I'd never dream of not using a dog, regardless of whether I'm after wild boar, deer or hare (I don't intentionally go after foxes - but if they happen to be flushed by the dogs while I'm after the above, well
Erm . . you don't 'flush' foxes, or deer, to shoot with a rifle. But of course, you'd know that?

It seems clear that, if you have shooting experience, it is with a 12 bore. Different altogether from rifle shooting.

Erm . . you don't 'flush' foxes, or deer, to shoot with a rifle. But of course, you'd know that?
Depends entirely on the hunt type/circumstances. Sneak up and snipe as you suggest, or get the dog to find and drive them to you (flush, as I call it - might be wrong terminology, but English isn't my first language, so feel free to educate me).

I wasn't aware that there was a universal truth about hunting techniques (well, it wasn't explained to me at the time I studied for my hunting license).

It seems clear that, if you have shooting experience, it is with a 12 bore. Different altogether from rifle shooting.
I have a Darne (in 12) and a Brno 802. I'll let you look them up.

EDIT - not in this country (for any police readers on here :D). Although I'm hoping to get the Darne across soon, once the UK license application is fully processed. Can't be doing with that monster-heavy Beretta my friend lets me use on occasions.

Depends entirely on the hunt type/circumstances. Sneak up and snipe as you suggest, or get the dog to drive them to you. I wasn't aware that there was a universal truth about hunting techniques (well, it wasn't explained to me at the time I studied for my hunting license).

Well, shooting flushed-out moving foxes is a new one to me after 30 years of rifle shooting.

And you can forget the sarcasm, I know guns, and you just confirmed you're only a 12-bore blaster. I use Beretta 12-bores, in fullbore use Remingtons, and have Ruger and CZ Brno rimfires. Plus other calibres for target competition.

The fact that you mention an 802 speaks volumes, it's a shotgun with a silly addon for goodness' sake - not a serious rifle in any way, and you'd most likely not be allowed on a stalk with one.

It explains why you don't understand rifle shooting.

EDIT - not in this country (for any police readers on here :D). Although I'm hoping to get the Darne across soon, once the UK license application is fully processed. Can't be doing with that monster-heavy Beretta my friend lets me use on occasions.
Ah, so perhaps you don't have experience of shooting in the UK?

And you just confirmed I'm not having a constructive discussion with a poster, just some sort of pi55ing contest with a self-declared authority out to prove something. Not interested.
Wonderful, accuse me of doing the 'pi55ing contest', from somebody who said:

And the house of cards comes crashing down.

I

Urban foxes are more of a problem than their increasingly distant relative, the countryside red fox, as they are less timid of humans. However, not only are they less timid, they are larger too through interbreeding with other feral dogs. As cities clean up their streets and we become more and more intent of recycling and dispose of our food waste more effectively, urban dog foxes will see their food supply dwindle and start to predate more rodents and family pets, especially when they widen their territories in pursuit of food and find dogs and cats in their way.

I doubt this will be a major problem though, in the grand scheme of things.

:confused: What do you base this on?

Wonderful, accuse me of doing the 'pi55ing contest', from somebody who said
How does providing you with factual information amounts to grand-standing :confused:

Is it the fact that I invited you to look them up, that irks you? (thought you'd be interested, as a shooter ...how misguided was I, apparently!)

As best I can tell from the posts, you're the poster who's been constantly out to prove I don't know what I'm posting about. I've just posted from personal experience (as usual), nothing more.

Oh well :?

How does providing you with factual information amounts to grand-standing :confused:

Is it the fact that I invited you to look them up, that irks you? (thought you'd be interested, as a shooter ...how misguided was I, apparently!)

As best I can tell from the posts, you're the poster who's been constantly out to prove I don't know what I'm posting about. I've just posted from personal experience (as usual), nothing more.

Oh well :?

And you claimed to know what you were talking about regarding rifle shooting of deer and fox in the UK, which is clearly not the case.

Archived