Getting a tattoo underage, how could I change someones mind?

Hi people,

Ive just been talking to a girl that is 15 and she is getting a tattoo. Ive told her its illegal as you have to be 18 but she not listening and has found someone that will do it. Ive told her that anyone who will do something illegal might also slack with other laws and not be clean but she still not listening.

As she is still growing if she has a tattoo could is distort as she gets older? are there any pictures of peoplw who have had tattoos at young ages and it gone wrong so I can scare her from the idea?

If I were you, i'd find out who the person is that is going to do the tattoo and make them aware that she is underage. Most people will then refuse to do the tattoo without parental consent.

If she gets a tattoo at a young age she could have a growth spurt at any time. Now if the tattoo is on her torso, legs, arms (well, most places really), this is going to stretch with the skin - and it will look horrendous!

The answer is, that you probably can't, Blue Dragon...

Even if you do what tess suggests (which isn't a bad idea...) above, and you do persuade the tattooist that breaking the law isn't a good carrer move, if the kid is so determined, will they just find another tattooist, who hasn't got the scruples?

If I were you, i'd find out who the person is that is going to do the tattoo and make them aware that she is underage. Most people will then refuse to do the tattoo without parental consent.

If she gets a tattoo at a young age she could have a growth spurt at any time. Now if the tattoo is on her torso, legs, arms (well, most places really), this is going to stretch with the skin - and it will look horrendous!

parental consent doesn't come into it, you have to be 18 by law regaurdless if your parents consent or not.

i was 15 when i had my first tattoo done, its on my hip/tummy which looked great at 15 but not 27 over weight and have had a child it doesn't look so good. its a cheeky devil whilst i was pregnant it went really short and fat then after given birth when my tummy dropped it went tall and skinny not a good look! have 9 tattoo's in total now and although my devils a different shape i don't regret any of them and to be honest im saving for my next one.

i do wish i had waited though as i cried my eyes out having the devil right ontop of the front of my hip bone and at such a young inexperienced age the pain feels 10 times stronger!

I got my first tattoo when I was 16 and I've never regretted it- after all I now have five and am considering my sixth.

The ink does spread a little over time so I'd warn her not to go for anything too intricate or it may become a big blocky mess in time- some good advice that I was given before I designed my first tattoo. I'd also advise her not to get it in a fleshy area which is likely to spread with age, but suggest she gets in on her shoulderblade or ankle. I'd also go with her and make sure she chooses a classic design that you think she will always like rather than something that's purely faddish, trendy or even worse- horrible. Remind her that colour needs to be refreshed every 5 years or so to stay looking good so she may want to stick with all black ink.

If she's found someone to do the tattoo and she's still keen to do it, then it's better to at least offer useful advice if you can't talk her out of it.

The tattooist knows shes under age but she wont say who it is so I cant even report them

parental consent doesn't come into it, you have to be 18 by law regaurdless if your parents consent or not.

i was 15 when i had my first tattoo done, its on my hip/tummy which looked great at 15 but not 27 over weight and have had a child it doesn't look so good. its a cheeky devil whilst i was pregnant it went really short and fat then after given birth when my tummy dropped it went tall and skinny not a good look! have 9 tattoo's in total now and although my devils a different shape i don't regret any of them and to be honest im saving for my next one.

i do wish i had waited though as i cried my eyes out having the devil right ontop of the front of my hip bone and at such a young inexperienced age the pain feels 10 times stronger!

As PT said Blue Dragon, if she wants it, you probably can't talk her out of it, and she'll have it done anyhow.

Rather than reporting, then this would be what I'd say, though I doubt many would agree with me as it's breaking the law but...

If you find out where she is having it done, a better solution might be making sure that they are at least professionals, even if they are breaking t'law.

If you don't find out where she is having it done, then just advise her to make sure that shes goes to somewhere where they know what they are doing, and if they don't, then find someone that does.

Perhaps if you quote carly's post, she may not have it done somewhere where it might not look good in time.

i was 15 when i had my first tattoo done, its on my hip/tummy which looked great at 15 but not 27 over weight and have had a child it doesn't look so good. its a cheeky devil

I remember when I was in the last year at school and a few girls were having these devil tattoos. I'm 26 it was probably at about the same time.

If the girl is determined to have a tattoo, and nothing can change her mind, advise her to think very carefully about the design, have a look at some pictures with her maybe?

After all, she's going to have it forever.

Hi people,

Ive just been talking to a girl that is 15 and she is getting a tattoo. Ive told her its illegal as you have to be 18 but she not listening and has found someone that will do it. Ive told her that anyone who will do something illegal might also slack with other laws and not be clean but she still not listening.

As she is still growing if she has a tattoo could is distort as she gets older? are there any pictures of peoplw who have had tattoos at young ages and it gone wrong so I can scare her from the idea?

If she's determined to go ahead with it, there's very little you can do to stop her. She's at that funny age isn't she. If you know where she's intending to have the tattoo done, then pay them a visit, they'll not entertain her if if they're a legitimate business.

Failing that, leave her to it, if she lives to regret it;that's hard cheese.

As PT said Blue Dragon, if she wants it, you probably can't talk her out of it, and she'll have it done anyhow.

Rather than reporting, then this would be what I'd say, though I doubt many would agree with me as it's breaking the law but...

If you find out where she is having it done, a better solution might be making sure that they are at least professionals, even if they are breaking t'law.

If you don't find out where she is having it done, then just advise her to make sure that shes goes to somewhere where they know what they are doing, and if they don't, then find someone that does.

Perhaps if you quote carly's post, she may not have it done somewhere where it might not look good in time.

I would suggest that if the tattooist is prepared to break the law and knowingly tattoo someone underage, then there's a good chance they don't really know what they are doing.

Archived