What do you think of Henry VIII  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Henry VIII

• Good king
    • Bad king
    • Femanist icon
    • Flatulant old glutton

Originally posted by Tubthump

Queen Elizabeth II won't really be remembered because the only role the Royal family play in this country is as an expensive tourism board advert aimed at the Yanks.

Very true. And thankfully, we pay for them.

God save the queen...

• 17 years later...
On 31/08/2005 at 15:56, slimsid2000 said:

He must have been pretty influencial if he is still remembered all these years later. How many kings and queens has history forgotten because they have done so little either for good or ill. For that matter what will Elizabeth II be remembered for (but that's another topic).

Marrying 6 times is fairly unusual even for a monarch. And destroying a religion that most people in England adhered to is also a bit drastic. So no wonder he's remembered. Not many monarchs have altered people's lives so fundamentally. 

Destroying the monasteries and churches was devastating for the people. These were at the centre of life for many people; being hospital, dispensary, school, bank, old people's home, hotel, religious centre, and place of sanctuary. They were bereft without anyone to turn to in times of need.  

Not a fan.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2

Being the father of one of the  greatest Queens, Elizabeth the First who tried to unite the churches after the damage done by her father and half sister Queen Mary.  Also for murdering Elizabeth’s mother Anne Boleyn. For me Henry was a villain.

I know it’s an old thread but shouldn’t it be on the History section?

Edited by hauxwell

14 hours ago, sibon said:

I voted flatulent glutton.

In 2008.

Bemused as to how threads like this get bumped, i.e. the actual process. Was Cressida scrolling through pages and pages of old threads to find it, did she type in Henry into the search etc...?

9 hours ago, cressida said:

I do apologise🙃

Though I do share HHRs bemusement with random necro posts I don’t think you need to apologise. As for Henry, his armour is in Leeds armoury if you don’t know and want to see it. It’s beautifully made and heavily battered by sword hits due to his love of jousting. I wonder how many modern leaders would be keen on war if they were expected to lead from the front.