Doctors appointments explanation required!

It has took me 10mins to arrange a doctors appointment. I don't go regular and I'm not an emergency so the systems change. I was told to ring after 10 to allow emergency calls to be dealt with so I rang at 10.30 to be told that all the 48hour appointments had been booked and to ring on Friday. I explained I was unable to sit by the phone(working) and keep ringing. So I said I was confused and could she explain the system. Then she said there was a long term booking system so I asked whats the difference between 48 hour system and long term because if you can't keep getting through for the 48 hour system you are going to be long term anyway. I'm confused.

I could be wrong but I think this all down to good old labours target obsession. They won't put you on the list if you are going to be on it for more than 48 hours as that will mean they are not hitting their targets.

I see, she was very relunctant to inform me of the 0ver 48hour system. No wonder people ring for the emergency one, at least you get to hear a doctor same day.

My GP has a drop in surgery in the mornings and appointments in the evenings which is a system that seems to work well.

In the mornings you may have a bit of a wait unless you get there first but at least you can get to see the doctor on the day you want to see them.

When she said ring after 10 you will need to ring AT 10am.

All the OAPs are on redial at 10 on the dot to get the early appointments.

At 10.30 they are long gone.

At my surgery we can make an appointment after 8am, by 8.10 they are all gone for the next 48hrs. They do leave some slots open for emergencies.

It has took me 10mins to arrange a doctors appointment. I don't go regular and I'm not an emergency so the systems change. I was told to ring after 10 to allow emergency calls to be dealt with so I rang at 10.30 to be told that all the 48hour appointments had been booked and to ring on Friday. I explained I was unable to sit by the phone(working) and keep ringing. So I said I was confused and could she explain the system. Then she said there was a long term booking system so I asked whats the difference between 48 hour system and long term because if you can't keep getting through for the 48 hour system you are going to be long term anyway. I'm confused.

Go to the walk in centre in town.

The online system is down and is being looked at, I went to the web site first.

I only want a repeat prescription but because my check up is so out of date I have to see the doctor so a walk in centre wouldn't issue them either.

I only need 1 minute with a doctor, quick blood pressure check and out. Their rules not mine. I have got in for the 2nd August which is no problem for me but I shouldn't have to fight for a long up front appointment surely and is not that far up front. Why do they make it so difficult? I just want to live a bit longer thats all!!

Archived