Con-a-Lib and fat cats

The Con-a-Lib coalition government :loopy:held in place by local lad Clegg :loopy: is banging on about saving every last penny and yet at the same time some of it's home grown fat cats are getting even fatter. In the United Kingdom, a statutory corporation is a corporate body created by statute. It typically has no shareholders and its powers are defined by the Act of Parliament which creates it. Read the above as "It's a free for all around the trough"

One such is, British Waterways which is a part of DEFRA. British Waterways partially manages 2,000 miles of inland canals and rivers in the UK. The Environment Agency and the Broads Authority also control large tracts of rivers. The organisation is overseen at a strategic level by ten non-executive Board members, eight of whom are appointed by the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and two by the Scottish Government. There are nine executive directors. British Waterways receives more than 40% of its revenue through government grants. It is responsible for the third largest collection of listed buildings and property in the country (behind The National Trust and Church of England). However, unlike the National Trust, British Waterways directors pay themselves large large salaries, including bonuses, which are disproportionate to their responsibilities or the effectiveness of their management skills.

British Waterways plan to move from being a government department to an organisation like the National Trust. However, they have not aligned directors' salary structure to that of the National Trust. For example, BW's Chief Executive for the year 2007/8 received :love:284,041 :love:pounds (including a bonus of £61,500). However, his counterpart in the National Trust who has considerably more responsibility earned just 175,000 and the Prime Minister who is in charge of the country gets 194,250.

Executive Directors

Robin Evans, Chief Executive. Robin joined BW in 1999 as Commercial Director and became Chief Executive in December 2002. Prior to that he spent four years as Palaces' Director for Historic Royal Palaces and was Chief Executive of The Landmark Trust for eight years. So he is well qualified to manage the canals and rivers.

Steve Dunlop, Regeneration Director and Director, Scotland. Steve was previously Director of Regeneration at Newcastle City Council. He started his career in leisure management and latterly as Director of Community Services at Falkirk Council. So he is well qualified to help manage the canals and rivers.

Nigel Johnson, Corporate Services Director and Secretary to the Board. Nigel worked as a corporate lawyer in the finance industry for 18 years and was the senior lawyer at a national charity headquartered in Westminster before joining BW in 2000. So he is well qualified to help manage the canals and rivers.

Stuart Mills, Director of Property. A chartered surveyor, Stuart joined BW in 1990 after working with private sector property consultants, Drivers Jonas. So he is well qualified to help manage the canals and rivers.

Vincent Moran, Operations Director. Vince joined BW following extensive personnel and general management experience in production, manufacturing and service activities with the coal industry. So he is well qualified to help manage the canals and rivers.

Philip Ridal, Finance Director. Philip has held a variety of financial roles including the Mowlem construction group, and Finance Director of Manchester Airports Group plc. So he is well qualified to help manage the canals and rivers.

Simon Salem, Marketing and Customer Service Director. Simon has experience of marketing, PR, corporate affairs and fundraising. Before joining BW he worked for London Transport. He has worked extensively in the leisure and tourism industry. So he is well qualified to help manage the canals and rivers.

Jim Stirling, Technical Director. Jim spent many years in civil engineering, construction and development both in the UK and abroad. So he is well qualified to help manage the canals and rivers.

British Waterways remuneration committee met recently and considered a plan to provide directors with a 15% salary increase. The organisation's annual report for 2007-2008 shows the chief executive and eight directors split a bonus pot of :love:£310,454 :love:Executive directors may receive up to 30% or 40% for the chief executive, on top of basic salary as bonus payable at the discretion of the remuneration committee. However, in mitigation minutes of BW's remuneration committee in April 2009 indicated that any bonus payable for 2008/9 would be minimal anyway due to poor corporate and personal performance. That's a shame Robin will have to struggle by on a tad over £284K then!

By the way - don't ask about their individual pension provision for when they decide to leave the sinking ship.... You don't want to know.

I'm more interested in why he's blaming the current government which has been in power for two months and not had time to put a stop to such things, instead of the Labour government which reigned over it for thirteen years and chose not to.

I was unable to find in my post the point where I had said who was to blame.:huh:

But as the current Con-a-Lib are banging on about saving money - it might be a good place to start with BW before they top-load their final pay with a further 15% in preperation for spending more time with their pensions.

I was unable to find in my post the point where I had said who was to blame.:huh:

But as the current Con-a-Lib are banging on about saving money - it might be a good place to start with BW before they top-load their final pay with a further 15% in preperation for spending more time with their pensions.

First sentance? Title? :huh::loopy:

Can we assume you are in favour of the cost cutting measures by the coalition government then that might cut the salary of these "fat cats"?

I've always had issues with English Heritage. We fund them to manage our castles and such - assets owned by the nation - yet they expect us to pay again to enter!

Don't you think that the user should pay somewhat more than those that don't use these places?

The very first sentence. Perhaps you should have read it before copy-and-pasting to the forum?

Remove your head from your rear and don't speak with your mouth full.. I refer you to an answer I gave earlier....

I was unable to find in my post the point where I had said who was to blame. :huh:

Do you perchance have a beard and play the accordion?

Archived