Using children on a protest/demonstration..

Is it fair to take children along to a protest march or demonstartion, get their faces painted up and get them holding placards, when, only being children, they may not be fully aware of all the issues involved and have not been able to make an informed decision, in fact they're only there because they've been taken there, not by their own accord.

Is it fair to take children along to a protest march or demonstartion, get their faces painted up and get them holding placards, when, only being children, they may not be fully aware of all the issues involved and have not been able to make an informed decision, in fact they're only there because they've been taken there, not by their own accord.

In what way does it hurt them? Quite possibly it is the only way their parents can attend if they take the children with them. I don't see that anyone is going to be wanting to listen to the children's views so how does it matter if they are not fully informed? Parents make all sorts of decisions on their child's behalf about where they will spend their day, about what they will eat and about what they will wear etc, I cannot see why this should be any different to any other decision, so long as there is no harm that can come from being there.

I think it can be good for children to see their parents engaging with the world around them. Got to be better than being slobbed in front of the telly blaming everyone else for the problems instead of actually doing something.

Face painting is clearly not a problem. I personally would not have a child hold a placard unless they were the ones that wanted to go to the protest in the first place and its their sentiment.

In what way does it hurt them? Quite possibly it is the only way their parents can attend if they take the children with them. I don't see that anyone is going to be wanting to listen to the children's views so how does it matter if they are not fully informed? Parents make all sorts of decisions on their child's behalf about where they will spend their day, about what they will eat and about what they will wear etc, I cannot see why this should be any different to any other decision, so long as there is no harm that can come from being there.

Using children as part of the protest is an attempt at emotional blackmail on the part of the protestors to try and swing the argument their way and win over public opinion. They are basically nothing more than stage props for the cause.

I think its wrong to take chldren to protests (particualy political ones) when they dont understand the actual subject enough to form a real opinion.

Does that apply to religion?

In answer to the op, not wrong at all.

Using children as part of the protest is an attempt at emotional blackmail on the part of the protestors to try and swing the argument their way and win over public opinion. They are basically nothing more than stage props for the cause.

Does this apply to all protests?

What about protests to say...close a school?

You mean like the closing of a school? Community/youth centre?

Archived