Using children on a protest/demonstration..

Beat me to it. I think DoW has missed the point the OP was trying to raise.

My point was that parents should be spending their time with their kids doing something constructive like swimming, walks , Days out ,ETC rather than dragging them round the streets and forcing them to be part of a baying mob screaming for this ,that and the other.

Is this a good example to be teaching children ?

No ,its not.

My point was that parents should be spending their time with their kids doing something constructive like swimming, walks , Days out ,ETC rather than dragging them round the streets and forcing them to be part of a baying mob screaming for this ,that and the other.

No ,its not.

I think you're making the stupid and lazy assumption that all protests consist of dragging children around and screaming. Children can get a great deal of social experience and fun out of protests.

What could be a better thing to teach children than to stand up for principles they believe to be important, to peacefully work towards change and challenge injustice?

No ,its not.

Perhaps one day you'll feel strongly enough about something that you'll feel the need to protest. There are plenty of valid issues that warrant a protest.

For example what if the Council decide to demolish your house to build a motorway, ignoring all your perfectly valid arguments as to why they shouldn't? Perhaps then you, your child, your family and neighbours might feel that they need to protest.

Using children as part of the protest is an attempt at emotional blackmail on the part of the protestors to try and swing the argument their way and win over public opinion. They are basically nothing more than stage props for the cause.

Nice attempt at counter psychology there. You could say that the ruling class or those that aspire also use that argument to control the under-classes through emotional blackmail because they fear the impact children have. As small and as ill informed as my child is, that information will come from me as a parent...not some chinless wonder who thinks he or she knows better.:rant:

People demonstrate everyday on all kinds of issues, mainly, because of how it affects them. They don't know all the issues. And, come off it, with any government, as if we're going to be made aware of all the issues anyway. Kids don't want to sit in delapidated buildings that they have far outgrown. They want surroundings conducive to learning. Good luck to them. I would have no problems with my child attending such a demonstration. I think it's a good experience for them, and teaches about political action, and making a difference, rather than sitting on your backside and leaving it up to everyone else to make a difference.

Quite right, of course they don't. 99% of the population hasn't got a clue either when it comes to understanding all political and social issues...doesn't stop them voting. I get tired when "adults" rant on about how we should protect our children...From who??? ourselves? Maybe if adults smartened up we wouldn't have to put the fear of God in them from an early age.

Pulling a school down or protesting against having an M84 running through your backyard isn't difficult for a child to understand if you got down to them rather than expecting them to come up to you...in fact it's a lot easier to understand than a sky pixie or something living under the child's bed as a lazy means of control.

Personally? We need to listen to them more than they need to listen to our rantings.

People demonstrate everyday on all kinds of issues, mainly, because of how it affects them. They don't know all the issues. And, come off it, with any government, as if we're going to be made aware of all the issues anyway. Kids don't want to sit in delapidated buildings that they have far outgrown. They want surroundings conducive to learning. Good luck to them. I would have no problems with my child attending such a demonstration. I think it's a good experience for them, and teaches about political action, and making a difference, rather than sitting on your backside and leaving it up to everyone else to make a difference.

But in the given example, do you think the teachers and the union have told them the government line and made sure they understand that the government is saying there is no money to build a new school, plus the other issues like the wastage involved in the BSF programme?

If children are going to be coerced into a protest, wouldn't it be fair to them to be told the argument from the other side too? Or should they be treated like they are stupid and only give them one side because they can't make their mind up or know what's good for themselves?

--

But in the given example, do you think the teachers and the union have told them the government line and made sure they understand that the government is saying there is no money to build a new school, plus the other issues like the wastage involved in the BSF programme?

If children are going to be coerced into a protest, wouldn't it be fair to them to be told the argument from the other side too? Or should they be treated like they are stupid and only give them one side because they can't make their mind up or know what's good for themselves?

--

You mean like the majority of them are as crooked as a crooked thing and everything they tell us should be taken with a pinch of salt? Or are you saying we should all just fallow the party line? You don't have to intellectualise to a child about politics in the same way you don't have to to an adult for them to make their own choices.

--

Do you know of a single child that can talk, that doesn't ask 'Why?' ?

Of course the government's line will have been presented.

The problem then is the children grow up believing that it is perfectly acceptable to be involved in this sort of anti socially behaviour.

So you agree that children grow up believing things to be perfectly acceptable, [whether or not you consider it to be acceptable behaviour]; hitting children for example?

My point was that parents should be spending their time with their kids doing something constructive like swimming, walks , Days out ,ETC

No ,its not.

Seems a bit rich, and 'lovely sounding', for someone that wants children to be caned.

Bring back the cane in schools and we will see a return to kids growing up with respect for authority.

Sorry to be slightly off topic. I was just reading the thread, and remembered seeing your name and quoting you the other night. :)

Archived