Patient confidentiality

I have phoned both the Dentist and Doctors before to see if my wife was still in the surgery on an appointment but yet when the Dentist just phoned now trying to leave a message with me about an up and coming appointment, they seemed to not appreciate me asking what had happened to 'patient confidentiality'.

I mean does it only work one way ?

If someone wants some info they are not obliged to give it, but are more than willing to let everyone know when someone's appointment is if it suits or is convenient for them. If it saves them having to call back then they will give info to anyone to pass on.

Hmm my husband is my formal my carer and as such is on record with things like the doctors so they tell him everything he wants to know (after i signed a release form for them to keep on record) but if say my brother phoned up and they told him something id not be best pleased.

to OP, i think one point worth remembering though is that they phoned the telephone number your wife had supplied to advise of appointment but yet when you phoned them you could of been anyone for all they knew.

I have phoned both the Dentist and Doctors before to see if my wife was still in the surgery on an appointment but yet when the Dentist just phoned now trying to leave a message with me about an up and coming appointment, they seemed to not appreciate me asking what had happened to 'patient confidentiality'.

If someone wants some info they are not obliged to give it, but are more than willing to let everyone know when someone's appointment is if it suits or is convenient for them. If it saves them having to call back then they will give info to anyone to pass on.

Jeez!

They're not giving away patient details they're trying to help! You answered the phone and (in your own words) they 'tried' to leave a message with you about an up and coming appointment. When you say 'tried' do you mean they failed .... did you refuse to listen? :huh:

You've now told the whole forum about this ... did you ask your wifes permission first? :loopy:

1. DUTY OF CONFIDENTIALITY

STANDARDS

Patients have the right to expect that information you obtain about them

is kept confidential and is used only for the purposes for which it was

given. This duty of confidentiality applies to all information obtained

about a patient during the course of professional practice and extends

to all members of the pharmacy team. Maintaining a patient’s

confidentiality is fundamental to the partnership between yourself and

the patient. A patient may be reluctant to seek advice from you in your

capacity as a healthcare professional where he/she has concerns that

you will not maintain confidentiality.

Confidential information includes:

• personal details (including information that is not directly relevant to

a patient’s medical history):

• information about a patient’s medication (both prescribed and nonprescribed)

and

• other information about a patient’s medical history, treatment or care

Jeez!

They're not giving away patient details they're trying to help! You answered the phone and (in your own words) they 'tried' to leave a message with you about an up and coming appointment. When you say 'tried' do you mean they failed .... did you refuse to listen? :huh:

You've now told the whole forum about this ... did you ask your wifes permission first? :loopy:

But that is giving away information that the patient might not want others to know about.

I came home once to an answerphone message for someone I'd never heard of cancelling her appointment at the plastics clinic at the Northern General. I consider that to be a breach of confidentiality, even if they had got the right phone number!

If the OP feels incapable of recieving information regarding his wifes dental appointment then I feel sorry for him. I always thought there was supposed to be an element of trust between husband and wife. If the OP feels unhappy about simply passing on a piece of information (a simple date and time) to his wife, then I suggest he has more pressing matrimonial problems to address. :loopy:

Going back to my earlier question .... did the OP seek permission from his wife to discuss this subject on the forum as it has direct implication to her?

Archived