Anglo american friendship

I actually enjoyed some of the friendly banter with our ex -pats now in the US last week on that now defunct "Dumb American" thread. I and I hope others came out of it with more understanding of each other too.

I am setting this thread up, so good natured sentiments and dialogue can remain and continue.

Only time will tell if this also degenerates into a slanging match, but lets try and keep a civil course of dialogue open.

The original idea of this thread was to open a window to allow any dialogue which would help improve appreciation of both differences and similarities, between the two communities.

Especially as I think many of us now have more in common with fellow European nations now, than with our former colony.

I actually enjoyed some of the friendly banter with our ex -pats now in the US last week on that now defunct "Dumb American" thread. I came out of it with more understanding of each other, and I hope and think others may have done too.

I am setting this thread up, so good natured sentiments and dialogue can remain and continue.

Only time will tell if this also degenerates into a slanging match, but lets try and keep a civil course of dialogue open.

Best of luck with this thread mate and I hope it does remain civil.

Despite it's insulting title the "Dumb Americans" thread did have it's pleasant moments and evolved into a pleasant dialogue for awhile between the ex-pats and yourself included

Well, it seems that nothing is being discussed.

Perhaps the OP wanted people to discuss what the English have in common with the Americans? (As opposed to the differences between the two.)

Perhaps the English have far less in common with the Americans than they had 20 or 30 years ago ... but were that to be the case, then people might begin to suggest that the English of 20 or 30 years ago were different to the English of today.

Many questions. Many answers (but some of them may not be acceptable??)

There's just been a discussion on Newsnight about the meeting of Dave and Barack today. The British commentator was waxing enthusiastic about the rapport between them and the amount of the President's time the PM had been given. The American commentator bluntly stated, the President and America don't care about the British, there is no special relationship, except that your media keep referring to it. Kirsty Wark was speechless for once! :D Hilarious!

But it does more or less endorse the comments made by the US expats on the closed thread.

Archived