Anglo american friendship

Shame on you for being ashamed to be an American alternageek.

There's always the option to wimp out though and next time you're over in England just pretend your a Canadian

Maybe shame is the wrong word? Embarrassed?

I usually tell most people of whats happening there is not the America I know.. Seeing our government become so polarised and not working for its people only for the politicians best interest (though this isnt something that just US-based, Im disgusted with British politics too).. Bad mouthing and failing to respect our president in any shape or form while speaking in public. The tea-partiers are the biggest reason for my shame. Their racism and xenophobia disgust me. Those are not the kind of people I grew up with. Those are not the values I have been raised with.. It hurts me to see these things going on..

Or maybe Ive now been made biased because the International press only wants to show the sensationalised side of the US and its going on.

Maybe shame is the wrong word? Embarrassed?

I usually tell most people of whats happening there is not the America I know.. Seeing our government become so polarised and not working for its people only for the politicians best interest (though this isnt something that just US-based, Im disgusted with British politics too).. Bad mouthing and failing to respect our president in any shape or form while speaking in public. The tea-partiers are the biggest reason for my shame. Their racism and xenophobia disgust me. Those are not the kind of people I grew up with. Those are not the values I have been raised with.. It hurts me to see these things going on..

Or maybe Ive now been made biased because the International press only wants to show the sensationalised side of the US and its going on.

I dont know how long you've been living in the US or if you are American born but American style politics has always been rough and tumble. It's not a game for the puny of spirit or the sensitive of nature.

Some of the verbal brickbats and political cartoons lampooning presidents as far back as Adams make todays carry on look downright civil by comparison. I've seen some of those old political cartoons and believe me they're nasty and slanderous by any standards

As for the Tea Party they're nothing new on the scene. There have been groups like them coming and going since the country became independent

I'm prepared to bet that Palin is a flash in the pan. Obama may be a one term president also. I started off liking him but have become somewhat disillusioned about one or two policies of his administration.

His approval rating has dropped down drastically just lately but in politics anything can happen and like past presidents who were in the same position at mid term he might just be re elected. Who knows

I dont know how long you've been living in the US or if you are American born but American style politics has always been rough and tumble. It's not a game for the puny of spirit or the sensitive of nature.

Some of the verbal brickbats and political cartoons lampooning presidents as far back as Adams make todays carry on look downright civil by comparison. I've seen some of those old political cartoons and believe me they're nasty and slanderous by any standards

As for the Tea Party they're nothing new on the scene. There have been groups like them coming and going since the country became independent

I'm prepared to bet that Palin is a flash in the pan. Obama may be a one term president also. I started off liking him but have become somewhat disillusioned about one or two policies of his administration.

His approval rating has dropped down drastically just lately but in politics anything can happen and like past presidents who were in the same position at mid term he might just be re elected. Who knows

I am an American (Anglo-American - daughter of British mother) and have been living outside the US since 2005

Stick with the english mate..they prob think you've lost it. And lobbin a rib eye on the grill is not gourmet...as bumdiddly scrumptious as they are.

I remember having a fish chowder from your side...now that was gourmet.

Just as long as it was New England Chowder and not New York. There is a serious difference.

Stick with the english mate..they prob think you've lost it. And lobbin a rib eye on the grill is not gourmet...as bumdiddly scrumptious as they are.

I remember having a fish chowder from your side...now that was gourmet.

I put Bearnaise sauce on my rib eyes, If that don't make em gourmet I don't know what does, unless its peppercorns as well, plus the fried mushrooms, and the baked potato with butter and sour cream and bacon bits, an American classic. Perhaps a Polish dill on the side.MMM!:)

Well, it seems that nothing is being discussed.

Perhaps the OP wanted people to discuss what the English have in common with the Americans? (As opposed to the differences between the two.)

Perhaps the English have far less in common with the Americans than they had 20 or 30 years ago ... but were that to be the case, then people might begin to suggest that the English of 20 or 30 years ago were different to the English of today.

Many questions. Many answers (but some of them may not be acceptable??)

The original post was closed, and then re-opened later by a different Mod.

The original idea was to open a window to allow any dialogue which would help improve appreciation of both differences and similarities, between the two communities (or in my case to be enlightened by the ex pats experiences of leaving Britain and their arrival etc). I haven't got much else to say on the subject now.

I agree with you and think many of us now have more in common with fellow European nations now, than with our former colony.

Archived