Anglo american friendship

My pronunciation of the english language is damn near perfect, though clearly yours has suffered.:roll:

Anyway after i posted that i finally decided to do a bit of research and you're right you lot did get this among other things from the french and as it turns out so did we only we decided to use the original latin pronunciation rather than the european corruption.:P

Didnt stop me making a decent living and retiring on a good pension.

I do lie awake at night though reciting "the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain" over and over again.

I sometimes place a marble in my mouth and attempt to talk like an old Etonian but when it comes to the word "herb" it comes out something like 'Blerggghhhh"

I speak a little Latin too by the way.

"Illigitimus non Carborundum" A saying that particularly applies to your post above

And what is schlocky when it's at home.:confused:

Comes from the German word Schlockengeggenheimenhausterfur which was used by a German immigrant in New York in 1897 when he first heard the word "herb" mispronounced by an American

A loose translation would mean "Blimey what a cockeyed way to pronounce a simple word"

The word was later down through the years shortened to "Schlocky"

Though death and darkness gather all about me

And my ship be torn apart upon the seas

I shall smell again the fragrance of these islands

In the heaving waves that brought me once to thee

And should I return safe home again to England

I shall watch the English mist roll through the dell

For you are beautiful

And I have loved you dearly

More dearly than the spoken word can tell

Now that is my England. What have they done to her ?:| The seagulls wheel about, crying out their welcome. We cannot see her yet, but the scent of her is around. Then we see her, dress in our best and line the deck, and England waves a welcome home. We've been away too long. Who dares call me traitor? I fought for her. Did any of you?

You over do the dislike and disdain bit. Stop wearing it out. I respond in kind to posts. Civility begets civility with me

When some know all whose never been further than his local fish and chip shop starts making spurious and rude commenst about the country I've called home for 45 years I consider it my duty to set him straight on a few facts.

That's all there is to it basically

Well said Harley. I've tried tonight to keep it civil, but its not an earthly bit of good. Its always the same old crap. Keep the faith, we know something they'll never know, and I wouldn't trade it for what they have.

Well said Harley. I've tried tonight to keep it civil, but its not an earthly bit of good. Its always the same old crap. Keep the faith, we know something they'll never know, and I wouldn't trade it for what they have.

While members all have the right to air their opinions whether positive or negative it would be nice occasionally to hear members like Ruby say something other than ex pats are all traitors, ex pats have nothing good to say about their mother country and so on.

We are not traitors we've both done our bit for Britain and like millions of others have moved to another country for our own personal reasons.

Some people on this forum should travel more.

We spent two days in Carpintaria a small pleasant town on the coast.

A lady and her daughter in the next room to us were from East Anglia and over here touring the California coast. A tour bus full of Aussies checked into the hotel also. The missus and I were the only "natives" in the lounge for breakfast the next morning.

I'm sure these visitors will go back to Britain and Australia full of good memories. No doubt some of them might not agree with certain things the US does but at least they wont be airing generalisations such as how dumb Americans are. They've seen the good and the not so good and realized that people in America are like people in their own country or anywhere else

We spent two days in Carpintaria a small pleasant town on the coast. A lady and her daughter in the next room to us were from East Anglia and over here touring the California coast. A tour bus full of Aussies checked into the hotel also. The missus and I were the only "natives" in the lounge for breakfast the next morning.

Years ago at Disneyland, a worker asked, "are there any native Californians here?" Myself, my sister, our children, and a man in front of us with his kids were the only ones with raised hands in the entire audience. I couldn't believe it. Or it could just reflect our penchant for dragging our kids to tourist traps. :hihi:

Living in a place that attracts visitors year round can be the best thing in the world or it can be the worst, I guess it depends on your point of view. True, I've run into some stinkers over the years, but most tourists are unfailingly polite and thrilled when you take the time to stop and talk to them or explain directions, where to find something, etc. A surprising number can also speak english pretty well, too. Puts us to shame.

Years ago at Disneyland, a worker asked, "are there any native Californians here?" Myself, my sister, our children, and a man in front of us with his kids were the only ones with raised hands in the entire audience. I couldn't believe it. Or it could just reflect our penchant for dragging our kids to tourist traps. :hihi:

Living in a place that attracts visitors year round can be the best thing in the world or it can be the worst, I guess it depends on your point of view. True, I've run into some stinkers over the years, but most tourists are unfailingly polite and thrilled when you take the time to stop and talk to them or explain directions, where to find something, etc. A surprising number can also speak english pretty well, too. Puts us to shame.

I lived for years in the county of Cornwall, which has to be Englamd's most popular resort. Most of the visitors were British, and the French liked it too. Generally, the visitors were nice family people, but there were more than enough arrogant drunken oafs to go around. It was only a few weeks lomg, and we were always glad afterwards when we could walk a quiet empty beach without music blaring out and dog doo under our feet.:)

I actually enjoyed some of the friendly banter with our ex -pats now in the US last week on that now defunct "Dumb American" thread. I came out of it with more understanding of each other, and I hope and think others may have done too.

I am setting this thread up, so good natured sentiments and dialogue can remain and continue.

Only time will tell if this also degenerates into a slanging match, but lets try and keep a civil course of dialogue open.

Your starting this thread waas an honest and admirable attempt to ease the relationship problem between both countries. It didn't take very long to disintegrate. At Post#8, Rubydazzler started her usual attack on ex pats, her favorite source of annoying " I've a right" say she " this IS a SHEFFIELD forum". By Post#16 Donkey had joined in with his usual claptrap, and the battle was in full swing. Good, I enjoy these fights. I know I'm better educated, and more intelligent as are most emigrants, so now I sit back and just take potshots in support of my friends, while the riffraff foam at their collective mouths.:hihi::hihi:

I actually enjoyed some of the friendly banter with our ex -pats now in the US last week on that now defunct "Dumb American" thread. I came out of it with more understanding of each other, and I hope and think others may have done too.

I am setting this thread up, so good natured sentiments and dialogue can remain and continue.

Only time will tell if this also degenerates into a slanging match, but lets try and keep a civil course of dialogue open.

if they are rome we are the greeks, but we need to be more spartan than olymipian. alittle over simplistic, just a thought.

What I am about to write has nothing or very little to do with this thread, but I'm going to write it anyway. Two weeks ago our middle son, his wife, and his three kids took the long road to Florida to live. It looked like a scene from the Grapes of Wrath and was for a similar reason. Dave had returned from Iraq and been unable to find work for over a year. Now my wife wants us to join the ranks of the "Snowbirds" people who live half a year in Florida and the rest in the North. You don't have to guess which half goes where. People who vacation in Florida are often British eager for a little sun, but Florida is unpleasant in the summer. Go to Arizona for sun, its dry there, or even heaven forbid, California. She wants to do this because we have another nearly identical family living five mies away from us in Connecticut. My problem is I love my house and this state.I'm not passionate about Florida, and don't mind being a million miles away from Dave. I'd have to sell the house and either buy or rent two houses and keep paying site rent for both yearly. But my wife loves the grandkids, as I do myself, and I hate to see her unhappy. The Point? Life can be hard sometimes even in Paradise.

Archived