Anglo american friendship

What I am about to write has nothing or very little to do with this thread, but I'm going to write it anyway. Two weeks ago our middle son, his wife, and his three kids took the long road to Florida to live. It looked like a scene from the Grapes of Wrath and was for a similar reason. Dave had returned from Iraq and been unable to find work for over a year. Now my wife wants us to join the ranks of the "Snowbirds" people who live half a year in Florida and the rest in the North. You don't have to guess which half goes where. People who vacation in Florida are often British eager for a little sun, but Florida is unpleasant in the summer. Go to Arizona for sun, its dry there, or even heaven forbid, California. She wants to do this because we have another nearly identical family living five mies away from us in Connecticut. My problem is I love my house and this state.I'm not passionate about Florida, and don't mind being a million miles away from Dave. I'd have to sell the house and either buy or rent two houses and keep paying site rent for both yearly. But my wife loves the grandkids, as I do myself, and I hate to see her unhappy. The Point? Life can be hard sometimes even in Paradise.

Same here Buck, our familys in Georgia, they want us to move there, real eastates much cheaper there but I just don't like Georgia, it's hot, humid, bugs, snakes, spiders as big as your fist, also my husband wouldn't be able to take the humidity at all, so we'll be staying in Connecticut and just fly back & forth every few months.:( although the way jobs are now, they just might end up back in NY some day :)

What I am about to write has nothing or very little to do with this thread, but I'm going to write it anyway. Two weeks ago our middle son, his wife, and his three kids took the long road to Florida to live. It looked like a scene from the Grapes of Wrath and was for a similar reason. Dave had returned from Iraq and been unable to find work for over a year. Now my wife wants us to join the ranks of the "Snowbirds" people who live half a year in Florida and the rest in the North. You don't have to guess which half goes where. People who vacation in Florida are often British eager for a little sun, but Florida is unpleasant in the summer. Go to Arizona for sun, its dry there, or even heaven forbid, California. She wants to do this because we have another nearly identical family living five mies away from us in Connecticut. My problem is I love my house and this state.I'm not passionate about Florida, and don't mind being a million miles away from Dave. I'd have to sell the house and either buy or rent two houses and keep paying site rent for both yearly. But my wife loves the grandkids, as I do myself, and I hate to see her unhappy. The Point? Life can be hard sometimes even in Paradise.

My sister lives in southwest Florida and I have visited her there in the summer. I realize you are a bit farther north than I am but to be honest, I can't tell that much difference in the summer weather where she is and where I am in North Carolina. The biggest difference is the breeze. They almost always have one and we don't. But if you do the snow bird thing, you'll be down there in the winter and you can't tell me you would miss all that snow! Besides, your grandkids will grow up even faster when you don't see them so much.

My sister lives in southwest Florida and I have visited her there in the summer. I realize you are a bit farther north than I am but to be honest, I can't tell that much difference in the summer weather where she is and where I am in North Carolina. The biggest difference is the breeze. They almost always have one and we don't. But if you do the snow bird thing, you'll be down there in the winter and you can't tell me you would miss all that snow! Besides, your grandkids will grow up even faster when you don't see them so much.
You and Poppins are both right in your own ways. In fact Pauline has long fancied North Carolina as a place to live. Her cousin has a place in Calabash not far from Myrtle Beach and Pauline likes it a lot. I certainly don't like snow too much. I'm no skier and my heart condition doesn't allow me to shovel, but as usual in America there always seems to be some good soul around who'll do things for you, or I'll give a teenager twenty bucks to do it for me. Its not a big driveway. I'll still be able to enjoy Connecticut in the summer, trips to NYC for the shows, Cape Cod for the beaches. As for the kids, you re right of course, but don't try saying that to a red haired native of County Clare, Ireland cos she'll floor you with her shillehlaugh.

You and Poppins are both right in your own ways. In fact Pauline has long fancied North Carolina as a place to live. Her cousin has a place in Calabash not far from Myrtle Beach and Pauline likes it a lot. I certainly don't like snow too much. I'm no skier and my heart condition doesn't allow me to shovel, but as usual in America there always seems to be some good soul around who'll do things for you, or I'll give a teenager twenty bucks to do it for me. Its not a big driveway. I'll still be able to enjoy Connecticut in the summer, trips to NYC for the shows, Cape Cod for the beaches. As for the kids, you re right of course, but don't try saying that to a red haired native of County Clare, Ireland cos she'll floor you with her shillehlaugh.

Come on down to NC, Buck and I'll show you and the Missus around! Its lovely....where I live we've got the mountains about 2 hours to the west and the beach about 3 1/2 hours to the east. We get less than 5 inches of snowfall annually and you'll be halfway between Connecticut and Florida.

We'd love to have you!!!!

Maybe we should have our own forum meet up over here! We could do it somewhere in the middle....like Kansas or Oklahoma or better yet....Vegas Baby!!!! Buck and Poppins could come down from Connecticut, Harleyman and Sierra from California, HappyHoosier from Indiana, me from NC and That Yank and USUK from where ever they are..(sorry, not sure I've ever known!) Alien could join us if he is in the colonies at the time and any other SFers who happen to be stateside when we set it up.

What do you say??

Years ago at Disneyland, a worker asked, "are there any native Californians here?" Myself, my sister, our children, and a man in front of us with his kids were the only ones with raised hands in the entire audience. I couldn't believe it. Or it could just reflect our penchant for dragging our kids to tourist traps. :hihi:

Living in a place that attracts visitors year round can be the best thing in the world or it can be the worst, I guess it depends on your point of view. True, I've run into some stinkers over the years, but most tourists are unfailingly polite and thrilled when you take the time to stop and talk to them or explain directions, where to find something, etc. A surprising number can also speak english pretty well, too. Puts us to shame.

It was only about one year ago that I finally got around to taking the Beverly Hills Movie Stars homes tour. My wife wasn't interested so I went by myself picking up the tour bus on Hollywodd boulevard.

I was the only local on board. The tour director asked us where we were all from and when I said local there were a lot of amused grins going around

We took the kids to Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knottsberry Farm during their young years but you cannot bring kids up in California and never take them to those touristt meccas at least once or twice and I enjoyed the visits immensly also. I became a kid again for the day

Maybe we should have our own forum meet up over here! We could do it somewhere in the middle....like Kansas or Oklahoma or better yet....Vegas Baby!!!! Buck and Poppins could come down from Connecticut, Harleyman and Sierra from California, HappyHoosier from Indiana, me from NC and That Yank and USUK from where ever they are..(sorry, not sure I've ever known!) Alien could join us if he is in the colonies at the time and any other SFers who happen to be stateside when we set it up.

What do you say??

I'm all for it. Vegas would be alright too. We could either ignore detractors or hit them from strength. We seem to get on great reminiscing among ourselves and some Sheffielders enjoy it too, but not all as you can see. They've gone mighty quiet all of a sudden. I wonder why.

Come on down to NC, Buck and I'll show you and the Missus around! Its lovely....where I live we've got the mountains about 2 hours to the west and the beach about 3 1/2 hours to the east. We get less than 5 inches of snowfall annually and you'll be halfway between Connecticut and Florida.

We'd love to have you!!!!

Well I'm ten 10 minutes away from the beach CottonTop...so there :P

Didnt stop me making a decent living and retiring on a good pension.

I do lie awake at night though reciting "the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain" over and over again.

I sometimes place a marble in my mouth and attempt to talk like an old Etonian but when it comes to the word "herb" it comes out something like 'Blerggghhhh"

I speak a little Latin too by the way.

"Illigitimus non Carborundum" A saying that particularly applies to your post above

I wouldn't waste your time trying to speak in received pronunciation it's not worth the effort as it doesn't represent a real english accent, i find it annoying that i often sound like an evil villain from a hollywood film.

I don't see how that latinish phrase applies to my post i was not attempting to degrade you in any way i have always found the mispronunciation of the word herb annoying.

But now that i know it's origin i can hear and cringe a bit less, i was also interested to find various other latin words that we nicked from the french which also have silent aitches that we didn't decide to restore to the latin.

And don't forget the Mohegans Buck ;)

Archived