Having a misplaced sense of self conciousness.

It happens to me regular. There's been instance's when iv'e been walking up behind someone, and begin to fell self concious the closer I get. I'm thinking to my self.. ohh!, I hope they don't think i'm a mugger or something. it's worse at night, worse still if they're female)so what do I do?.. I deliberately step onto the road as I walk around them, I even make the unnecessary effort to lean away from them... Why?, I'm doing nothing wrong. Please tell me it's not just me.

hehehe. I know what you mean, it's the inner guardian taking over. I have those moments too and I'm a female.

It's not just you, really. :)

That's good to hear ruby. Nice to know it's not just a man thing also.:)

When i was quite young i wasn't able to walk properly if someone was walking behind me - i got self conscious and i started thinking about how i was walking, which meant i couldn't do it properly any more!
:hihi: I know exactly what you mean. It's a little like the, "men stood together in the toilet problem".:hihi:

I have always been really self concious with anything such as this because it can potentially be dangerous ie if your walking down street behind a girl she feels intimadated lets the bf know he comes up and without question POW! you know about it.

In this situation i always keep as far behind as physically possible and i never look at the person ie eye to eye that way they know theres nothing to worry about and im not a crazed stalker.

I have to say, as someone who was viciously mugged following hearing footsteps closing in behind her, I really appreciate it when other people cross the road to walk on the other side. Took me a long time to get over it, but even now, in some small way, my ears prick up, and I start to become very aware when I hear people behind me. I know it is sad to wish other people to walk away from you...but it goes a long way to making me feel calmer. Don't take it personally. There is method in this unfortunate madness.

Archived