Unemployed soon!

I'm due to be made redundant in two months time. God willing I hope I've found another job by then. If I don't it looks like the dole queue, so I need some advice. How do I go about signing on? How much exactly is the dole? Can I also claim housing benefit for a mortgage? Are either payments (if I qualify) affected by whatever redudacy payment I get?

Thanks.

As soon as you are laid off, take the letters and what not recieved from work to your local job centre and all your questions will be answered then - you may not need that though, as you have two months to find something new so I know it's boring/long winded/scary but get your CV online, and start trawlling through the internet job boards and any relevant industry mags (also online) and look every night for a couple of hours... It's said that it reckons to take about 6 weeks to find a new job, after 2 weeks looking, then giving two weeks inbetween interviews (1st and 2nd)... When my partner was laid off two years ago (start recession) it took him a month to find something new and they waited for him to serve his redundancy notice so his payments were not affected... Don't get hung up on benefits you probably will never need and good luck with the job search (and the holiday you can take with the lousy gits who laid you off redundancy cash!)

Assuming you have paid you NI for long enough you will get this.

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance

Jobcentre Plus can pay this for up to 182 days. It’s based on how much National Insurance you have paid in the last two tax years. Generally, self-employed contributions will not help you qualify for contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Aged 16 - 24 £51.85

Aged 25 or over £65.45

I'm due to be made redundant in two months time. God willing I hope I've found another job by then. If I don't it looks like the dole queue, so I need some advice. How do I go about signing on? How much exactly is the dole? Can I also claim housing benefit for a mortgage? Are either payments (if I qualify) affected by whatever redudacy payment I get?

Thanks.

It is always tempting to take a couple of months off between jobs, but unemployment is not fun after a few weeks. It saps the ego.

You have to do it all over the phone now. You make your application then have an appointment where they check your id and what not. It's a long drawn out process which often leaves you wondering if it's worth it for the pittance that they give you. With regards to housing benefit for mortgages there is a rumour that they will pay interest only on the original mortgage but not until you've been out of work for 9 months. Not sure how true this is though. I don't know anyone who has ever recieved it. Council tax benefit is paid straight away which is quite nice!!!

You can also apply online and they phone you I think. Try this . . . . .

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_178228

It is always tempting to take a couple of months off between jobs, but unemployment is not fun after a few weeks. It saps the ego.

I really don't want to take any time off at all. Thanks for the responses so far.

Thanks.

You call them up and they call you back to go through the application form with you over the phone. Then they make you an appointment at your local Job Centre for you to go in and sign the paperwork. You then are signed on and start to receive Job Seekers allowance. The Job Centre will tell you everything you need to know and help you with any questions. Remember to ask about housing benefit too if you rent as they can sort this for you too.

Good Luck. I was in your shoes until today.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to PM me if you want.

Archived