Something is disturbing me.

I work in quality control. Today I found that a lot of work that had been completed over the weekend was not up to standard, it was scrap! I report to a guy who holds a very senior position and because it is what I am paid for I informed him of my findings mid morning today. By early afternoon he got back to me and informed me that he was going to discipline someone, he gave me a name. NOW...I know for certain that he was not at fault and said so, but was informed "He is getting the verbal warning anyhow"

I work in quality control. Today I found that a lot of work that had been completed over the weekend was not up to standard, it was scrap! I report to a guy who holds a very senior position and because it is what I am paid for I informed him of my findings mid morning today. By early afternoon he got back to me and informed me that he was going to discipline someone, he gave me a name. NOW...I know for certain that he was not at fault and said so, but was informed "He is getting the verbal warning anyhow"

Seems dodgy to me, almost like he is threatening to have a go at someone as a direct protest to yourself for bringing it up.

Maybe you have dropped on this man's perk and put a spanner in the works ?

If he has a go at this other bloke then speak out that you have said the blame does not lay with him. He is trying to bully you into silence though is my bet.

Seems dodgy to me, almost like he is threatening to have a go at someone as a direct protest to yourself for bringing it up.

Maybe you have dropped on this man's perk and put a spanner in the works ?

If he has a go at this other bloke then speak out that you have said the blame does not lay with him. He is trying to bully you into silence though is my bet.

OK. I do not think that he is trying to bully me, but I do think that he dislikes the guy who he intends to discipline. He will give him an official warning without proof.

Evening protocolin,

Just to make sure I understand the situation:

Someone didn't do a job properly, you reported it (as part of your job) now somebody else is getting the blame (despite being blameless).

If this is the case (as far as I can see) there are two things which might be bothering you:

1: Your actions have caused unfair disciplinary action to be taken against a colleague. You feel guilty and / or they feel angry towards you.

If this is the case, all I can say is that you did your job - nobody could expect any more or any less of you. If you let shoddy work through quality control, that's worse than not doing the job at all. Your actions cannot be criticised. If the person who gets the verbal warning wishes to complain, that is their look-out. You can help them with their complaint, perhaps encourage them to lodge one, but I wouldn't say you should complain on their behalf.

2: You feel that your line manager (or the company as a whole) operates an unfair disciplinary protocol, which leaves innocent employees open to unfair action.

If this is the case, then you have to consider whether you can carry on working for them. It may be ilegal, but unless you know the law inside-out, there's not a lot you can do about it other than a) get out, or b) always make sure you cover your back with anything you do at work.

I don't know how serious the situation is (in terms of unfair policy or exactly what a verbal warning entails) but if there's something bothering you at work, you've got to have a long look at how bothered you are by it and what you can do about it - otherwise you'll be waking up in the morning and really hating the thought of having to go to work.

Good luck with whatever you do and remember that - on this occasion - your actions were the correct ones.

Bob

Evening protocolin,

Just to make sure I understand the situation:

Someone didn't do a job properly, you reported it (as part of your job) now somebody else is getting the blame (despite being blameless).

If this is the case (as far as I can see) there are two things which might be bothering you:

1: Your actions have caused unfair disciplinary action to be taken against a colleague. You feel guilty and / or they feel angry towards you.

If this is the case, all I can say is that you did your job - nobody could expect any more or any less of you. If you let shoddy work through quality control, that's worse than not doing the job at all. Your actions cannot be criticised. If the person who gets the verbal warning wishes to complain, that is their look-out. You can help them with their complaint, perhaps encourage them to lodge one, but I wouldn't say you should complain on their behalf.

2: You feel that your line manager (or the company as a whole) operates an unfair disciplinary protocol, which leaves innocent employees open to unfair action.

If this is the case, then you have to consider whether you can carry on working for them. It may be ilegal, but unless you know the law inside-out, there's not a lot you can do about it other than a) get out, or b) always make sure you cover your back with anything you do at work.

I don't know how serious the situation is (in terms of unfair policy or exactly what a verbal warning entails) but if there's something bothering you at work, you've got to have a long look at how bothered you are by it and what you can do about it - otherwise you'll be waking up in the morning and really hating the thought of having to go to work.

Good luck with whatever you do and remember that - on this occasion - your actions were the correct ones.

Bob

OK. I have read all your post and thanks for taking the time to consider the situation that I described. Firstly, I do not feel any guilt for doing my job. If I allowed shoddy work to pass by me we would soon lose customers and all be without work. The reason that I am disturbed is that my manager has used my findings to pursue what maybe a vendetta against an employee. That bothers me.

Then I think it's that employee's task to take it up with the employer if he/she wants to. If they do, all you can do is support them - I don't know if this would then land you in trouble, but then that would be your call. Like I say: good luck.

They can only give a verbal warning to the said person with proof that they have done something wrong if there is no proof stop worrying !

Archived