I have been told I have claim to 'Chatsworth house' - Help!

Ghozer

I cannot remember exactly how i'm liked, but I have been told I have a small claim to chatsworth house down the family line somewhere....

where would I start in research?, I cannot afford these high priced investigators or website registrations, or has someone traced back info on Chatsworth house and has a missing line or something?

the family name in question is "Etheridge" - and I think it was about 5 or 6 generations back...

any help/info is greatly appreciated :D

I cannot remember exactly how i'm liked, but I have been told I have a small claim to chatsworth house down the family line somewhere....

where would I start in research?, I cannot afford these high priced investigators or website registrations, or has someone traced back info on Chatsworth house and has a missing line or something?

the family name in question is "Etheridge" - and I think it was about 5 or 6 generations back...

You could be linked through the mad old aunt they had locked up in the attic for many a year. But you won't find any proof because the under gardener did a bunk and besides the family kept that sort of thing quiet your lordship.

I am not sure about Chatsworth but if you read "Black Diamonds" the history of the Fitzwilliams at Wentworth it is probable that Fitzwilliam genes populate a high proportion of that area. Presumably the Duke of Devonshires lot were equally adept at putting it about a bitand therefore you "claim" may be shared by quite a few people.

Good luck anyway.

One of my 1900 relative(palace maid) claim her baby came with regards from prince of wales so think i have a strong claim to Buckingham Palace but not going to hold my breath

Google.............

I am not sure about Chatsworth but if you read "Black Diamonds" the history of the Fitzwilliams at Wentworth it is probable that Fitzwilliam genes populate a high proportion of that area. Presumably the Duke of Devonshires lot were equally adept at putting it about a bitand therefore you "claim" may be shared by quite a few people.

Good luck anyway.

Very true, I have read Black Diamonds myself and our local 'gentry' were very promiscuous indeed. Husbands were found for pregnant maids and good jobs were subsequently given to them. That was the price of silence.

5 or 6 generations isn't that far back in the scale of things.

You can use Ancestry.com from any Sheffield library for free - ask the library staff how you log on.

Start with what you know - ask your family about relations who might appear on the 1901 census - then work back 10 years at a time. Let's know how you get on.

Good luck anyway.

My late grandfather once told me this about the aristocracy, "listen

lad, them buggers sleep with each other all year round, and share the kids out at Christmas".

Many a true word :D

Archived