Man fined £1500 for drowning a grey squirrel

Good job you're not a squirrel then, isn't it?

Oh and by the way - I've got a mind of my own thanks! ;)

Well, I'm pretty sure nobody posting on here is a vermin rodent species (well, then again reading some posts I'm not certain).

Not quite sure what your 'mind of your own' comment refers to.

"whack with a shovel" approach might pass muster, .

You are only allowed to hit it once so make sure you have a good shot or you will get done for causing pain and suffering.

Likewise if you have a gun, straight between the eyes, if you only wing it you’re up for cruelty.

According to the news , the trap he used had no instructions on what to do with it once it was caught. So he dropped it into the nearby water butt, presumably complete with cage.

The correct modus operandi is apparently to take it to a vet to be put to sleep. You can knock it on the head, but only once. That sounds worse, what if you don't kill it straight off? I wonder if the squirrels that are being culled to make way for the red squirrels are being humanely euthanised by a vet, or knocked once on the head?

I think the RSPCA over reacted, unless he's in the habit of doing this on a regular basis, surely they could have just warned him and given him advice as to the correct procedure?

Isn't it ironic that both red and grey squirrels were considered vermin 100 years ago and free cartridges given out to shooting clubs in exchange for a bounty on red squirrel tails.

Between 1903 and 1946 the Highland Squirrel Club alone collected a bounty on 102,900 red squirrels that they killed. This and the repeated destruction of the red squirrels environment is what led to its decline, far more than the "oh let's blame the grey squirrel" fashion of today.

I just wonder what right man has to decide which creatures have a right to live and which must be erradicated. There are very many species that were introduced to this country by man for our convenience, and I don't feel it is morally right to exterminate them once our use for the species is at an end.

The problem is if you do catch a squirrel I believe it is an offence to release them as they are classed as vermin.

That is only a problem if you feel compelled to catch squirrels and slavishly obey petty regulations.

Isn't it amazing how we use "rodent" "vermin" to mask our need to inflict pain. Seems like it has nothing to do with the animal in question but justifying bloodlust.

Good point! The priniciple even applies to humans. It was the way Nazi propagandists described groups they wished to persecute and exterminate.

Isn't it amazing how we use "rodent" "vermin" to mask our need to inflict pain. Seems like it has nothing to do with the animal in question but justifying bloodlust.
Why do you think people "need to inflict pain"?

I shoot squirrels to eat them, not to relish their agonies. I would be disappointed if I did not kill them cleanly and without pain.

Archived