What was the name of this fairground ride?

Joanna

Originally posted by Joanna

For the first time in 17 years, I went on the Waltzes - the last time was when I was a kid.

Anyhow, I then remembered another ride which I don't see anymore. I'm racking your brains again to see if you remember the what it was called?

It was a big, very fast roundabout with big 'sofas' not comfy ones, but more like pub seats, with 'motorbikes' dotted in between. Any ideas?:)

Can confirm that it was called the Speedway

Does anyone remember yet another ride. It had about 6 cars like waltzer cars that were connected by a metal bar into the centre,and a pivot for the car itself, but it also had a footbrake. You slowed it down so it trailed and tried to force itself towards the centre, than let the brake off. It would shoot at an amazing G force and throw everybody in the car to one side, great for getting VERY close to some bird you fancied. I remember they used to have one when the funfare came to Oakes Park (along with Speedway and Waltzer but I've forgotten what they called it.

They would probably never get away with having them these days 'cos of Health + Safety (spoilsports!!!) You would probably need seatbelts, hard hat, the whole lot.......

the "speedway" always reminds me of the fairs at norfolk park we always used to go to em...... does anyone remember "nutty nigel" he always used to hang around the speedway following you around or trying to spit on you!!!:loopy:

Originally posted by davep

Does anyone remember yet another ride. It had about 6 cars like waltzer cars that were connected by a metal bar into the centre,and a pivot for the car itself, but it also had a footbrake. You slowed it down so it trailed and tried to force itself towards the centre, than let the brake off. It would shoot at an amazing G force and throw everybody in the car to one side, great for getting VERY close to some bird you fancied. I remember they used to have one when the funfare came to Oakes Park (along with Speedway and Waltzer but I've forgotten what they called it.

They would probably never get away with having them these days 'cos of Health + Safety (spoilsports!!!) You would probably need seatbelts, hard hat, the whole lot.......

i think that this ride was called " the whip" it still can be found ay Blackpool. fantastic ride this was.

juliediane

• 11 months later...
For the first time in 17 years, I went on the Waltzes - the last time was when I was a kid.

Anyhow, I then remembered another ride which I don't see anymore. I'm racking your brains again to see if you remember the what it was called?

It was a big, very fast roundabout with big 'sofas' not comfy ones, but more like pub seats, with 'motorbikes' dotted in between. Any ideas?:)

In my childhood days this ride was called Noah's Ark or Farmyard. I am talking about the 1950's. Ling's feast had a brilliant one.

thats right,i worked on the waltzers for farrars fair when i was younger,the music was great,supremes,ronnets, little richard,cant listen to them now without thinking i smell hot dogs and onions

My father once worked for John Farrar. He drove a steam traction engine which in those days also drove several rides. Music in those days came from steam organs!

• 1 year later...

the ride was called the whip and in some parts the skid i used to work on the gallopers for two and a half years a mate of mine worked on the skid fell under the ride smashed his arm and ripped his chest wide open because he couldent pull down he dident get paid.

sadley most of the old rides like the whip harry lees steam yatchs

the cake walk the whales and a lot of sets of gallopers are now in america.

Archived