What was the name of this fairground ride?

Joanna

Can anyone remember a fairground ride called the "Moon Rocket" it was like circular space rocket that spun round a circuit like orbiting the moon ..it was fitted with comfy seats ..and I remember "Popeye" sat on a small rocket orbiting the moon in the opposite direction in the middle of the ride..I remember this from a Fair in Concord Park in the 1940's...this was in the days when steam traction engines ran the generators for the rides..I can still remember the smell of coal and oil that came from these engines...Great Days when I was little...the Music then was bogie woogie stuff before Rock n roll was invented.

Remember the Caterpillar? A green canvas cover came over the carriage as you went around...............
Yes I remember that one ..a siren sounded as the canopy came down..it was like the "Tunnel of love" without the tunnel.."The canvas caterpillar of love" dosn't have the same romantic ring does it ???

Can anyone remember a fairground ride called the "Moon Rocket" it was like circular space rocket that spun round a circuit like orbiting the moon ..it was fitted with comfy seats ..and I remember "Popeye" sat on a small rocket orbiting the moon in the opposite direction in the middle of the ride..I remember this from a Fair in Concord Park in the 1940's...this was in the days when steam traction engines ran the generators for the rides..I can still remember the smell of coal and oil that came from these engines...Great Days when I was little...the Music then was bogie woogie stuff before Rock n roll was invented.

I remember this ride very very well. It was set at the same angle as a modern day sky TV dish. I loved it. Ling's Feast had one, and there was one at Belle Vue, Manchester.

the ride was called the whip and in some parts the skid i used to work on the gallopers for two and a half years a mate of mine worked on the skid fell under the ride smashed his arm and ripped his chest wide open because he couldent pull down he dident get paid.

sadley most of the old rides like the whip harry lees steam yatchs

the cake walk the whales and a lot of sets of gallopers are now in america.

The Whip was still in use at Mablethorpe five years ago, and I think there is one at Scarborough.

Archived