Victim's rights

Do victims of crime get overlooked by law makers and authorities who concentrate on the criminal rather than the victim?

Have you been a victim? How did the experience leave you?

What might improve the lot of a victim after the event?

It would be nice if the point raised in this OP could be answered rather than continuing to focus on the criminal with calls to chop off their goolies. Thanks.

I'd like to see victims well catered for after a crime, but I'm not sure exactly what needs they might have - apart from obvious ones, like if they were beaten into disability their disabled needs should be met in full.

What can be done to improve the lot of, for example, a murder victim's family? Nothing can bring their loved one back, but that's a poor excuse for doing nothing.

I'd like to see victims well catered for after a crime, but I'm not sure exactly what needs they might have - apart from obvious ones, like if they were beaten into disability their disabled needs should be met in full.

What can be done to improve the lot of, for example, a murder victim's family? Nothing can bring their loved one back, but that's a poor excuse for doing nothing.

One of my friends was burgled while they were out of the house for the evening..after this they hardly ever went out for fear of the same thing happening...a person who was "the life of the party" almost became a recluse overnight....a bit of councilling could have worked wonders I think....

CHOP THEIR <REMOVED> OFF!!!

Errr. Sorry.

One thing that is overlooked sometimes in these debates is that the world isn't split into 'offenders' and 'victims' as neatly as we would sometimes like. Theres a big grey venn diagram in the middle too.

CHOP THEIR <REMOVED> OFF!!!

Errr. Sorry.

One thing that is overlooked sometimes in these debates is that the world isn't split into 'offenders' and 'victims' as neatly as we would sometimes like. Theres a big grey venn diagram in the middle too.

There are two types of people - those that understand there are more than two types of people, and those that don't :|

One of my friends was burgled while they were out of the house for the evening..after this they hardly ever went out for fear of the same thing happening...a person who was "the life of the party" almost became a recluse overnight....a bit of councilling could have worked wonders I think....

That's something I would definitely support. There are victim counselling services available, but probably not even a hundredth as many as there needs to be.

That's something I would definitely support. There are victim counselling services available, but probably not even a hundredth as many as there needs to be.

Not sure about that. I don't hear about a lack of victim support services.

I think victims of young offenders, in some areas, have a great opportunity to watch the offender work off their debt. The Youth Offending Panels work amazingly.

I don't know what is the deal in Sheffield, but when I lived in Northamptonshire for a while, these panels worked wonders.

The Panel, the offender, and the victim, basically, met, talked, and drew up a contract to which the offender had to adhere for X amount of time. This contract had several points, consisting of a) a punishment, b) a reparation to the victim, and c) self-improvement/a skill or interest to benefit the offender; one which will provide the offender with an opportunity to find some direction in life.

The offender goes away and fulfills this contract. If the offender can manage all of the above, then, great (and usually they do as there is only a 30% reoffending rate in Northamptonshire). If they don't, then they have to visit the Magistrates Court for further sentencing. The Panels, are an alternative to going directly to the MCs.

They are excellent, and help ALL concerned.

Archived