Victim's rights

Should more effort / finance be put into restitution of victims losses?

Maybe more resources should be put into reducing the numbers of potential victims. The only way that can be done is targeting possible perpetrators.

Would be interesting to know what rights the victim loses.

How about the right to go out without having the fear of finding out you've been burgled when you get back home? (see my post above)

:huh: I've never gone out with fear of being burgled, otherwise I wouldn't go out. Being burgled is an everyday/minute occurrence. Are you saying I should be in fear every day/minute?

:huh: I've never gone out with fear of being burgled, otherwise I wouldn't go out. Being burgled is an everyday/minute occurrence. Are you saying I should be in fear every day/minute?

No I'm saying one victim of burglary was too scared to go out in case it happened again....it may be small beer to you but it wasn't to them....as I said read my post above....

No I'm saying one victim of burglary was too scared to go out in case it happened again....it may be small beer to you but it wasn't to them....as I said read my post above....

I did.

I've been burgled and so have many many people I know but they haven't shown the symptoms your friend has. And at what point was s/he ever refused counselling? Counselling is widely available to anyone, not just victims. Your friend was just as likely and susceptible to float over the edge at seeing a bit of mist down a dark alley as s/he was at being burgled.

The point being, I was burgled and non of my rights were lost. If I go to pieces then that's a whole new ballgame and probably more to do with who I am as an individual.

How about the right to go out without having the fear of finding out you've been burgled when you get back home? (see my post above)

Please explain how curtailing some peoples' rights will increase the chance of those same people respecting others' rights more?

Babooshka, has that only been applied to young offenders? How have victims responded to it? Has it been adequate?

Yes, this was only applied to Young Offenders (hence the intervention of the YOUTH Offending Panel....sorry that is not meant to sound sarcastic).

It was an initiative brought about by the Youth Offending Service. It has had a MASSIVE impact. 70% of young offenders who met their victims, and successfully undertook the 'contract' DO NOT repeat offend.

I watched victims meet, and talk with the offenders, and have the opportunity to tell them how they felt as a result of the crime committed against them, and also a chance to give some input in to the contract (ie what would go some way to making them feel better as a victim).

It also gave some shame to the offenders, who, obviously, had not taken in to consideration the effect their actions would have on their victims.

In some cases, after the contracts were drawn up, and where the offender spent time with the victim on a regular basis (eg if they were doing some community work/work towards repairing damage done to victims property etc) they actually became FRIENDS.....and the victim had a chance to really get to know the offender, and sometimes, guide the offender on to a more positive path of life.

This method has proved very instrumental in getting kids on the straight and narrow.

I would imagine it is still employed today, considering how successful it was.

It is not used with adults, although maybe it should be.

The report I heard on this topic stated that in many cases the response by victim support is often disproportionate and not joined up. Hence a person who had their lawn mower stolen could be phond three times by various parts of victim support whilst the victim of a violent attack could easily slip through the net and not be contacted at all by victim support.

Archived