Victim's rights

One particular example I can quote is when a young lad completely trashed someone's garden/outdoor area.....and was caught doing it. He met with the more elderly gentleman whose property it was.

This man got the opportunity to express his anger towards the youth, and also stated that what would make him feel better, would be if the youth helped him repair his garden etc

So, that was part of the contract. The kid had to spend X hours per day helping this guy restore his garden to its' former glory.

Over the course of X weeks, the kid had;

Repaired all the damage (the reparation to the victim)

Had undertaken his punishment (giving his time and effort for no financial gain)

Learned a skill/developed an interest

After that, and after having become quite close to his victim, who had a friend with a gardening business, the kid was 'employed' by the friend, and went on to get himself sorted. I believe he did not reoffend, and was a hard-working gardener, as opposed to a lazy youth, for a long time...if not still is!

How can there be ANYTHING negative about that scheme? Needs to be more widespread, if you ask me.

One particular example I can quote is when a young lad completely trashed someone's garden/outdoor area.....and was caught doing it. He met with the more elderly gentleman whose property it was.

This man got the opportunity to express his anger towards the youth, and also stated that what would make him feel better, would be if the youth helped him repair his garden etc

So, that was part of the contract. The kid had to spend X hours per day helping this guy restore his garden to its' former glory.

Had undertaken his punishment (giving his time and effort for no financial gain)

After that, and after having become quite close to his victim, who had a friend with a gardening business, the kid was 'employed' by the friend, and went on to get himself sorted. I believe he did not reoffend, and was a hard-working gardener, as opposed to a lazy youth, for a long time...if not still is!

How can there be ANYTHING negative about that scheme? Needs to be more widespread, if you ask me.

Sounds like you have been watching Grand Torino again/

I can never understand how justice is possibly served when someone beats another person so badly that the victim is left with a life changing disability, and the criminal is sentenced to just a few years in jail if that.

The victims life is ruined, both mentally and physically yet the criminal is back to normal after a couple of years. Justice?

I think this kind of approach should be much more widely used.

Getting offenders to realise the cost of their behaviour in terms of its impact on victims is surely more valuable than jail time, fines or community service.

I think this kind of approach should be much more widely used.

Getting offenders to realise the cost of their behaviour in terms of its impact on victims is surely more valuable than jail time, fines or community service.

By all means make them recognise the damage they have done and the suffering they cause, but I hope you do not suggest this as an alternative to punishment?

They should be stil punished.

Sounds like you have been watching Grand Torino again/

What is Grand Torino?

I trained as a Panel Member back in 2002 in Northamptonshire. Hence, knowing a little about this approach. Ordinary people/volunteers could train to be Panel Members. On each Panel there sat two Panel Members, and a Youth Offending Officer. They were the ones who drew up the contract following the meeting of the offender and victim.

Guest sibon
By all means make them recognise the damage they have done and the suffering they cause, but I hope you do not suggest this as an alternative to punishment?

They should be stil punished.

If you read post 10 again, you will see that punishment is one of the strands of the strategy.

It makes perfect sense doesn't it. Punish the criminal, but also make them face up to the reality of their crime. Always assuming that the victim is able to cope with meeting the criminal.

Archived