Victim's rights

Of course it would though I've not noticed a suggestion of anyone being forced to have counselling has been made by anyone apart from the weakening troll.

I'm quite interested in the other options that provide restitution as well as justice and a deterrent. There doesn't seem to be very much outside the youth justice system.

Who exactly is offering counselling for burglary victims?
I'm not sure which organisation provides the service, but the Police do now offer crime victims councelling support for crimes like burglary and mugging.

I was at the receiving end of a bunch of armed gypsies trying to steal a motorbike a few years ago, and the police offered me victim support, even though the pikeys came off worse. The policeman actually said "well, I have to ask you if you would lke to be referred for victim support, but I somehow doubt you're going to say yes . . ."

I'm quite interested in the other options that provide restitution as well as justice and a deterrent. There doesn't seem to be very much outside the youth justice system.

I guess they decided that it was more important to tackle the youth...to prevent them going on to commit crimes in adulthood ie help them whilst they are young, and there will be less need to help adults.

Are MOST adult 'criminals' following on from committing crimes as young offenders as well....or, are their criminal careers only just starting as adults?

According to that it's one of only 2 such centres in London..wonder how many groups there are supporting prisoners/ex prisoners..

I am not aware of any. That said if such a group did exist and it helped reduce re-offending rates then it could be a worthwhile investment.

I guess they decided that it was more important to tackle the youth...to prevent them going on to commit crimes in adulthood ie help them whilst they are young, and there will be less need to help adults.

Are MOST adult 'criminals' following on from committing crimes as young offenders as well....or, are their criminal careers only just starting as adults?

Which brings us nicely back to the OP - the system focuses on criminals not victims.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the politicians, officials and the third sector are really missing a trick here.

From the victim support website:

http://victimsupport.org.uk/About%20us/What%20we%20do/Emotional%20support

Counselling is a very specific type of therapy done only by highly qualified professionals and looking at lots of different aspects of a person’s life. That’s not something most victims of crime need – usually they just need some help to deal with the emotional turmoil caused by being a victim.

What we do is similar to counselling, but not the same. Where we think a victim does need full counselling, for example with problems such as post traumatic stress disorder, we can help to arrange it.

Our volunteers are trained to listen, give information and feedback. They help people make sense of what they’ve been through, tell them about choices they can make and help them feel like they are getting their lives under control again.

So it would seem they agree with you. I wonder how many people have made their minds up about what they think based on a news report, or based on what actually happens in reality.

Which brings us nicely back to the OP - the system focuses on criminals not victims.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the politicians, officials and the third sector are really missing a trick here.

Well, if they can tackle the problem of criminals, then there will not be so many victims. Is it better to try to reduce the causes, and prevent crimes, rather than mop up the tears of the victims after the crimes have been committed?

Archived