Victim's rights

Maybe more resources should be put into reducing the numbers of potential victims. The only way that can be done is targeting possible perpetrators.

Well, if they can tackle the problem of criminals, then there will not be so many victims. Is it better to try to reduce the causes, and prevent crimes, rather than mop up the tears of the victims after the crimes have been committed?

At last. An agreement between 2 posters. ;)

That's lovely if there is no crime as a result. However since in the real world there is crime there are victims, and that is the topic in hand.

So, it seems right and proper that the tears of victims should be mopped up and the wrongs against them put right rather than just punishing up a criminal.

There will always be crime, BUT there may not be as MUCH crime, thus sparing however many potential victims.

Depending on the nature, and severity of the crime, one might not be able to ever put it 'right', in the eyes of the victim.

Better to prevent it happening in the first place.

There will always be crime, BUT there may not be as MUCH crime, thus sparing however many potential victims.

Depending on the nature, and severity of the crime, one might not be able to ever put it 'right', in the eyes of the victim.

How can aiming for the impossible be better than focusing on something useful and achievable?

Do crime victims really need counselling or is it just that there's a massive couselling industry these days desperate to sell its services to traumatised people?

If you get burgled, you claim on your insurance, you beef up security to stop it happening again and you take more care when locking your doors in future. Why would anyone need counselling on top of that?

You lack of empathy is astounding.

The report I heard on this topic stated that in many cases the response by victim support is often disproportionate and not joined up. Hence a person who had their lawn mower stolen could be phond three times by various parts of victim support whilst the victim of a violent attack could easily slip through the net and not be contacted at all by victim support.

I worked for Victim Support for over ten years. Support was patchy, under resourced and volunteer based. We were dealing with everything from murder through to sheds being burgled. The police were difficult to influence and the National Association was finding its feet. I moved on through frustration. I hope things are better now.

If you give rights to the alleged offender and rights to victims, these are bound to contradict or cancel out each other. Everyone expects to have rights even if they are 180 degrees opposing.

I don't disagree with your sentiment or the common sense behind it, but the thread is about victims rights not crime prevention. Sorry if I appear very single minded but it's a rarely discussed topic and I'd like to keep it pertinent.

How can aiming for the impossible be better than focusing on something useful and achievable?

Crime prevention is NOT impossible, as has been proved. If we do not try to prevent it in SOME way, then it will continue to escalate. Heaven knows how many more victims there will be then.

Do victims of crime get overlooked by law makers and authorities who concentrate on the criminal rather than the victim?

Have you been a victim? How did the experience leave you?

What might improve the lot of a victim after the event?

It would be nice if the point raised in this OP could be answered rather than continuing to focus on the criminal with calls to chop off their goolies. Thanks.

Well, it depends on the crime. I don't think you can generalise for all crimes. Not all victims need help afterwards. Many victims have family support. I have been a victim of crime, and the only way in which I feel I was overlooked, was that the police were slack in responding to sorting it out. I don't think I required any support, though. I just dealt with it. Took about ten years to fully get over it. Just wished the police had been out there preventing this sort of thing from happening.

I think with minor crimes, perhaps victims could play a more involved role with regards the reparation. Major crimes-another matter. I think leaving it to the justice system is by far the best route. Justice is not about revenge, which I feel most victims would feel they wanted to seek.

Archived