Is nudity offensive?

The ban the burka thread raised some interesting issues about freedom of personal choice.

It seems our default position is one where we wear clothes without question, and the state endorses this by criminalising acts which outrage public decency, which can include being naked in public if more than one person is affronted by it.

But what is offensive or wrong about being naked provided there's no sexual context to it?

Religious groups should be the biggest supporters of it, after all god would have created babies that were born in romper suits if it was otherwise!

The ban the burka thread raised some interesting issues about freedom of personal choice.

It seems our default position is one where we wear clothes without question, and the state endorses this by criminalising acts which outrage public decency, which can include being naked in public if more than one person is affronted by it.

But what is offensive or wrong about being naked provided there's no sexual context to it?

Religious groups should be the biggest supporters of it, after all god would have created babies that were born in romper suits if it was otherwise!

Not practicle sometimes? Welder...ouch; grinder...double ouch, steelworker ouch again. Keeping fit...bit bouncing everywhere & possibly sitting where other peoples sweaty naked bits have been YUK!

I think you get the point that clothing has a practicle aspect to it in most everyday tasks?

Not practicle sometimes? Welder...ouch; grinder...double ouch, steelworker ouch again. Keeping fit...bit bouncing everywhere & possibly sitting where other peoples sweaty naked bits have been YUK!

I think you get the point that clothing has a practicle aspect to it in most everyday tasks?

You could wear a reinforced leaf.

And who welds on a sunny day on fargate? :hihi:

LOL, sorry Bedders, I wasn't suggesting nudity should be compulsory, nor was I denouncing the wearing of clothes, it's a broad question about why we are conditioned to believe nudity is wrong.

Nowt wrong with nudity among the beautifull people, but unfortunately most of us look better with our clothes on.

So do you believe it's more about our own insecurities Nimrod, rather than a fear of offending people or getting locked up?

LOL, sorry Bedders, I wasn't suggesting nudity should be compulsory, nor was I denouncing the wearing of clothes, it's a broad question about why we are conditioned to believe nudity is wrong.

I know BF, I was just showing the evolution of clothing through nessessity. Although most 'tasks', whether work based or recreational, have moved towards a clothes wearing society & there is no real need for clothing (as a previous posted has stated), whilst walking down Fargate.

I think it's they grey-hazy-area of morals & law. Some laws are not morals; some morals are not laws...but it appears that this area in most peoples eyes there is both a moral & legal obligation to wear clothing.

Archived