I used to live at Winn Gardens

ninner

I worked at the same place as Richards dad Eric for around eight years 60s and 70s and knew his mum Molly as well eric

hi I am David Eric and mollys grandson,Eric passed away when I was very young,Molly passed away in 2004,both are sadly missed.I am Richard humberstones son and my sister Sarah is his daughter,sadly Richard passed away in 2005 aged 58 Andrew humberstone my uncle is still alive,I don't see him much,but I remember my dad telling me about Winn gardens when he was was young,I wish I was brought up in those times instead of the 80s

Hi Humberstone. I knew your dad Richard when we were teenagers. I was very sad to hear that he had died & 58 is so young to die. I didn't live on Winn Gardens but as I said before, knew quite a few people who did. Richard was rather a quiet young man a bit of a loner, a nice person. We used to all knock around together Robert Smart, John Heane another guy called John Gould. Your grandparents Eric & Molly were lovely & always made you very welcome in their home( I have shared many a cuppa with your Grandma). I can just about remember Andrew who was younger than Richard from memory. They were just a very nice family. Once again very sorry to hear about Richard dying.

Dennis, not sure you could see Batchelors from the river! Wasn't BICC between the river and the railway line? I lived in Foxhill, and spent my misguided youth nickin peas from the lorries that used to park at the side of Batchelors. Later (1964) I used to drive SUT coaches to Batchelors to take all the women workers home all over the place, little villages that I don't remember now, and didn't remember then, had to get one of the lasses to guide me.

Used to wander Beely woods on the school holidays, many fond memories of those times. Brian Brady, a.k.a. oldtimer@telusplanet.net

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I was 11 when we moved into our brand new maisonette on Winn Grove in 1963. It was heaven especially as it was still a building site. No health and safety issues then. I was told that you had to be vetted before you could live on the estate and because we were on the lower deck we paid more than upstairs. My mother still lives in the same house 50 years on. Inevitably, she is one of the few remaining. We lived a few doors down from the Dawsons (Linda mentioned in a previous posting) It was a great place to grow up. As has been mentioned, rope swing over the Don (parents would have a fit today) and exploring in Beeley Woods. The Park had not been seeded to start with but we had 2 tennis courts (1 grass) and a bowling green and a proper parky who made sure we respected the facilities. Now look at the place. I dropped my mother off home on Sunday and saw that some mindless vandals (and that's being polite) have taken to destroying some of the wooden fences surrounding the grassed area where the 13 storey used to be. Surely someone knows who's done it or heard them. It will have taken some brute strength to damage them so it's not little kids. Shame on you.

• 3 years later...
The pub was called the Beeleywood wasn't it? (It's a long time ago now.

Names I remember of people living at Winn Gardens just after it was built.

Richard Humberstone. John Heane Robert Smart Cheryl Smart John Gould (or Gold). Thats over 45 years ago now Wonder what happened to them all.

Hi Janet hope you are well ? sorry to read that my friend Richard Humberstone has passed away. I often think about "Winn Gardens" it was a great place to live in the 60s and I made many friends there. People were very friendly and sociable the disco's at the community centre were great fun. I was sorry when my parents decided to move away because I wanted to stay there. (John Gold)

Dennis, not sure you could see Batchelors from the river! Wasn't BICC between the river and the railway line? I lived in Foxhill, and spent my misguided youth nickin peas from the lorries that used to park at the side of Batchelors. Later (1964) I used to drive SUT coaches to Batchelors to take all the women workers home all over the place, little villages that I don't remember now, and didn't remember then, had to get one of the lasses to guide me.

Used to wander Beely woods on the school holidays, many fond memories of those times. Brian Brady, a.k.a. oldtimer@telusplanet.net

I think the place you are referring to instead of BICC, might be British Acheson Electrodes later Union Carbide (no longer there),which was at Claywheels Lane/Beeley Wood Lane.

Hi John Gold, well what a blast from the past. So lovely to see your post on here. I remember you very well John but don't know if you would remember my friend & I who didn't live on Winn Gardens but spent a lot of time there with the people already mentioned. Richard Humberstone, Robert Smart John Hean. I remember you lived on the right hand side as you got to the bottom of the hill didn't you? & John lived on the left hand side near Humberstone's. It was such a friendly place back then & almost everyone who lived there seemed to be happy there. I can remember you used to have quite long hair &were always happy & smiling. My friend was called Jean & had red hair. I lived on Stockarth Lane but we were always at Winn Gardens with Robert & John. Wonder what ever became of them all. Hope life has been good to you John & that you are well & happy. I have lived in Australia for over 40 years now, but love visiting the old haunts when I do get home.

Hi John Gold, well what a blast from the past. So lovely to see your post on here. I remember you very well John but don't know if you would remember my friend & I who didn't live on Winn Gardens but spent a lot of time there with the people already mentioned. Richard Humberstone, Robert Smart John Hean. I remember you lived on the right hand side as you got to the bottom of the hill didn't you? & John lived on the left hand side near Humberstone's. It was such a friendly place back then & almost everyone who lived there seemed to be happy there. I can remember you used to have quite long hair &were always happy & smiling. My friend was called Jean & had red hair. I lived on Stockarth Lane but we were always at Winn Gardens with Robert & John. Wonder what ever became of them all. Hope life has been good to you John & that you are well & happy. I have lived in Australia for over 40 years now, but love visiting the old haunts when I do get home.

How could I forget you and (Jean) in your smart bottle green "Newfield School" uniforms does Jean still live in Sheffield? I've lost touch with people from "Winn Gardens" the last time I was there was sometime in the 1970s or maybe 80s. I visited "Harry Charlesworth" who lived at the top of the estate and had a daughter "Susan" and son "Terry" they were nice people. I remember all the people mentioned and quit a few other names as well, Robert and Cheryl lived behind us and he had an old "Triumph Mayflower" car he used to drive about in.

Ha ha John your memory is sooo good, yes Jean & I were Newfield girls & are still best friends even though I live in Oz. Jean does still live in Sheffield & has visited Oz. Hard to believe we are now in our late 60's. Can't place the people you mentioned John. Wonder what happened to those nice people like Robert & John. Very sad to hear Richard had died. The Humberstones were all very nice people wern't they? I ended up working at Middlewood Hospital for a while as receptionist /telephonist & Jean married a male nurse who she met when I worked there. It was a nice place when it was first built John & many people who worked at the hospital, lived there as you well know. We spent many nights in the pub at the top of there, I think it was the Beeley Wood wasn't it? It was always crowded when it first opened. Don't suppose it is still there now? Can't believe the Middlewood Tavern closed down what a popular pub that used to be. Lovely to hear from you.