I used to live at Winn Gardens

ninner

I worked at the same place as Richards dad Eric for around eight years 60s and 70s and knew his mum Molly as well eric

hi I am David Eric and mollys grandson,Eric passed away when I was very young,Molly passed away in 2004,both are sadly missed.I am Richard humberstones son and my sister Sarah is his daughter,sadly Richard passed away in 2005 aged 58 Andrew humberstone my uncle is still alive,I don't see him much,but I remember my dad telling me about Winn gardens when he was was young,I wish I was brought up in those times instead of the 80s

Hi David,sorry to hear that your dad has passed away we were good friends back in the day, we spent many an happy hour with Molly in her kitchen chatting and drinking endless cups of tea. I never saw much of Eric has he seemed to work long hours. I do remember him once taking me into his garage and showing me an old car he was working on a "Jowett Javelin" I think it was.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 16:15 ----------

I worked at the same place as Richards dad Eric for around eight years 60s and 70s and knew his mum Molly as well eric

hi I am David Eric and mollys grandson,Eric passed away when I was very young,Molly passed away in 2004,both are sadly missed.I am Richard humberstones son and my sister Sarah is his daughter,sadly Richard passed away in 2005 aged 58 Andrew humberstone my uncle is still alive,I don't see him much,but I remember my dad telling me about Winn gardens when he was was young,I wish I was brought up in those times instead of the 80s

Hi David, sorry to hear your dad has passed on, we were good friends back in the day. We spent many an happy hour in Mollys kitchen chatting and drinking endless cups of tea. I didn't see much of Eric has he seemed to work long hours, but he took me into his garage once. He had an old car he was working on a "Jowett Javelin I think it was. I remember Andrew was just a young lad when I knew him maybe 10 years or so old.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 17:14 ----------

Ha ha John your memory is sooo good, yes Jean & I were Newfield girls & are still best friends even though I live in Oz. Jean does still live in Sheffield & has visited Oz. Hard to believe we are now in our late 60's. Can't place the people you mentioned John. Wonder what happened to those nice people like Robert & John. Very sad to hear Richard had died. The Humberstones were all very nice people wern't they? I ended up working at Middlewood Hospital for a while as receptionist /telephonist & Jean married a male nurse who she met when I worked there. It was a nice place when it was first built John & many people who worked at the hospital, lived there as you well know. We spent many nights in the pub at the top of there, I think it was the Beeley Wood wasn't it? It was always crowded when it first opened. Don't suppose it is still there now? Can't believe the Middlewood Tavern closed down what a popular pub that used to be. Lovely to hear from you.

Yes Janet some things I can recall very vividly say hello to Jean from me if you are still in touch with her. I worked at "Middlewood" hospital in 1966 and 1967 and then moved to Huddersfield and worked at "Storthes Hall" hospital where I qualified. Would you know Stanley Newbert ? he was a charge nurse at MH and he lived very close to you in an hospital house on Middlewood Road, he had a son called Michael who I went to school with. I drove back from Sheffield last year sometime and the "Beeley Wood" pub was boarded up and the "Middlewood tavern" shut 2 of my favourite haunts in those days. The vicars name at MHs church at the time was a "Reverend Totley" who went by the handle of "Rev Tetley" because he spent a lot of time in the "Beeley Wood" pub. I spent many happy hours in "Molly Humberstones" kitchen drinking tea, so many people I knew are scattered by the 4 winds now but I do remember quite a lot and wonder about them sometimes.

Hi John Yes I thought you also worked at the hospital vaguely remember it. I was there about 1967 as well. Yes remember Stan Newbert very well also Reg...can't remember his second name but they also lived in the hospital houses, also Morriss's lived there. My mum worked at Middlewood for over 20 years as a nurse. All at the same time you were obviously there & also myself. You may remember Judy Tesh (Seaman) Judy has been a friend of our family for as long as I can remember & also visits us in Oz every few years. So many happy memories of those days. I will certainly say hello to Jean for you.

Hi John Yes I thought you also worked at the hospital vaguely remember it. I was there about 1967 as well. Yes remember Stan Newbert very well also Reg...can't remember his second name but they also lived in the hospital houses, also Morriss's lived there. My mum worked at Middlewood for over 20 years as a nurse. All at the same time you were obviously there & also myself. You may remember Judy Tesh (Seaman) Judy has been a friend of our family for as long as I can remember & also visits us in Oz every few years. So many happy memories of those days. I will certainly say hello to Jean for you.

Hello Janet I left MH in June 1967 and don't think I ever had the pleasure of meeting your mum or Judy. The Reg you mentioned would be "Reg Hodgkinson" if my memory serves me correctly, I can remember a few other people people who worked there also.

Hi John

Yes that's the chap Reg Hodgkinson (Had a son Brian). It was like a big family working at Middlewood wasn't it? I worked as receptionist /telephonist with Janet Ward, Margaret Hastings & another Margaret. (Got confusing as there were two Janet's & two Margarets. We worked with Harry (Can't remember his surname) Bert Camm was the boss /supervisor of the reception area.

Jean has jogged my memory & told me she remembers you well & that we used to also see you at the Mojo Club. Such happy days at both Middlewood & the Mojo Club.

thank you for all the kind words and memmorys you shared regarding my father Richard Humberstone its much appreciated and he spoke very fondly of winn gardens and said he had some great times as a teenager,he would have been 70 now but he liked his drink,he wasnt an alcoholic but a heavy drinker and that combined with medication eventually caught up with him,he was very well known and often told me about people he knew such as lawrence knight,dennis poole,neil patrick,john chidlow and many more well known characters in sheffield but his passion in life was gardening he had an allotment down rivelin valley for over 20 years and loved plants,and general gardening,his allotment was allways immaculate,he wasnt the same after my grandmother molly died he went downhill from then on,i believe andrew is still alive