Nick agrees with George – and fails to defend his constituents

The explanation is simple, the bank have broken the banking system.

Indeed. People talk as if the banks have got an endless pot of money to dish out at the moment. They haven't. Banks are struggling to borrow money themselves as we enter what is shaping up to be the second major credit crunch in this ongoing economic crisis.

Lets not forget Forgemaster's stubbornness to seek alternative avenues for the money.

What avenues? The credit has virtually dried up again. Banks have been undercapitalised throughout this crisis and some completely reliant on government support. There is simply not enough credit in the system even for mainstream lending. Or did you conveniently forget to notice these simple facts.

They're taking on again though? I'm sure on the news the other night they said Forgemasters are advertising 200 new jobs? They must have got the money from somewhere, hmm?

Was Betts jumping up and down yesterday? It's in his constituency, isn't it?

@ sandie, what's cowtailing? I think I get the drift, but never heard the term before. The picture it conjures up is amusing though :D

What avenues? The credit has virtually dried up again. Banks have been undercapitalised throughout this crisis and some completely reliant on government support. There is simply not enough credit in the system even for mainstream lending. Or did you conveniently forget to notice these simple facts.

Quote from the FT...

"That is not to say no private option was available - just that to raise the money, the management would have had to sell the majority of the company, something they were loathe to do just two years after buying it out...."

The option was there for them but they didn't want to do it....

They're taking on again though? I'm sure on the news the other night they said Forgemasters are advertising 200 new jobs? They must have got the money from somewhere, hmm?

Was Betts jumping up and down yesterday? It's in his constituency, isn't it?

@ sandie, what's cowtailing? I think I get the drift, but never heard the term before. The picture it conjures up is amusing though :D

Are they taking on because they are building new plant or because the order book is improving? Ruby, it could have been 400 new jobs instead of 200.

By the way:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Exclusive-Top-Tory-donor-in.6433405.jp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-10704471

Business Secretary Vince Cable said: "I understand that this outcome is disappointing for the company and its employees, who have acted very professionally and responsibly throughout.

In the depths of a recession anyone would have thought an investment that would have returned £30million on the loan, plus the profits from tax from 200 people in work (and not on benefits) would have been a sensible investment.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Steelworks-loan-would-have-made.6390955.jp

We have a Govt run on ideology, rather than any business sense and the canceling of the Forgemasters loan shows that up clearly.

Archived