Migraines in rooms with fluorescent lighting and comp. screens

I am constantly feeling my migraine warning at work. I work in a room with no natural light just fluorescent bulbs. I don't get the migraines unless I am also looking at a computer screen.

If I work at the same computer in a different room I don't get them so its the combination of fluorescent lights and computer screens.

Has anyone sorted this? I am thinking of buying a desk lamp and glare screen thing for my computer but before spending all this money I thought Id see if anyone has tried these tactics?

I guess the alternative is I may need glasses

anyone have any advice?

I used to work in an office with only fluorescent lighting staring at a crt monitor all day, it was horrendous. I used to get a lot of eye strain & headaches. it never triggered a full migraine, it's usually stress or a bad combination of food/drink for me.

TFT monitors are much better, you should complain if you're forced to work at a crt all day.

Keep adjusting your focus, look at the other side of the room for a minute & take regular breaks from the screen. If your boss will allow it, then try to take a 5 minute break every hour. If your employer wont allow it, refer them to the health & safety guidance for using computers.

Guidance from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) suggests it's better to take shorter breaks more often at your workstation than longer breaks and less often, eg a 5-10 minute break after 50-60 minutes continuous screen and/or keyboard work is likely to be better than a 15 minute break every two hours. But if your job means spending long periods at a VDU, eg data input, then longer breaks from your workstation should be introduced.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/HealthAndSafetyAtWork/DG_10026668

I used to work in a office like you describe and the headaches were terrible, about twenty out of thirty staff were affected and I was tasked with finding a solution.

Basically it's like you've already outlined, we bought everyone an angle poise lamp, fitted monitor screens and turned off about half of the fluorescent tubes.

The effect was noticeable immediately, eyestrain was less and we all felt a lot better at 5 o'clock so the measures did work.

I wouldn't rule out your eyes though - get to an optician for an eye test and tell them about the computer screen. It may be that your distance vision is OK but you may need reading glasses.

As everyone else has said, it's a combination which gets to a lot of people, and that's before you've taken into account the possible issues from ageing tubes which develop a flicker which is so subtle that your conscious brain doesn't notice it, but it does affect your vision.

Guest sibon
I am constantly feeling my migraine warning at work. I work in a room with no natural light just fluorescent bulbs. I don't get the migraines unless I am also looking at a computer screen.

If I work at the same computer in a different room I don't get them so its the combination of fluorescent lights and computer screens.

Has anyone sorted this? I am thinking of buying a desk lamp and glare screen thing for my computer but before spending all this money I thought Id see if anyone has tried these tactics?

I guess the alternative is I may need glasses

anyone have any advice?

Do the tubes have diffusers fitted. If not, ask for them to be fitted.

If they are diffused, the problem is likely to be with your monitor, or your eyes.

I know this might sound strange but go and have a thorough eye test. I have suffered for years with migraines and finally discovered I have eyes that are sensitive to light (simple terms) and this is what was/is causing the migraines. If you work with computers then your employer might even pay for it for you. Good luck x

I know this might sound strange but go and have a thorough eye test. I have suffered for years with migraines and finally discovered I have eyes that are sensitive to light (simple terms) and this is what was/is causing the migraines. If you work with computers then your employer might even pay for it for you. Good luck x

did glasses sort out that problem?

I will go and buy a glare screen and lamp later and see how I go.

what do diffusers do?

I think they're the translucent plastic covers over the tubes so that you just don't have the bare tubes illuminating the place.....they "diffuse" the light.. :) It makes it less "harsh" for want of a better word

Archived