Does your employer provide you with the tools to do your job?

The reason I ask is because on our discussion board at work someone has suggested reducing our budget by stopping the provision of pens, paper, post it notes, sellotape and calculators and making people provide their own stationery.

Someone pointed out that it is the employer's responsibility to provide the tools to do the job but someone else countered saying the employer was not obliged to.

So, good people of SF, does your employer provide you with everything you need or do you have to make up their short-fall?

well as I am my own employer the question is moot for me

however I wouldn't expect a company to hire someone and ask them to provide their own consumables, they want someone to do a job for them then they should provide the means to do it

My boss has just ordered a load of calculators, vital in my job but never provided until now.

The only reason she's agreed to order them is that people are using the calclator function on their phones and she is suspicous that people are pretending they're calculating when in actual fact they are texting.

I don't have to pay for my own stationary etc, however my fella works in a factory and has to buy all his own powertools, stanley knifes etc. Seems unreasonable if you ask me.

thinking about it, the employer has a choice

either they provide consumables for all their staff with the economies of bulk purchases saving them money

or they can allocate a budget for each member of staff so they can go and buy their own including time away from their desk to make the purchases, time on the phone and the web looking for what they need and so on

providing consumables is the more cost effective option

I worked for a very large company who did not provide anything at all. A bit pathetic really when the training told you that you had to keep making notes and that it was vital to note down key information. So you went out bought a note pad and pen and then nipped to the printer, when you came back it would have gone. Taken by someone who could not be bothered to get their own!

I don't have to pay for my own stationary etc, however my fella works in a factory and has to buy all his own powertools, stanley knifes etc. Seems unreasonable if you ask me.

He sounds like he is being treated as a self employed person.

Archived