Calls from Microsoft Help

SILLY

My dad had someone phone up like this, he passed the call on to me as I know a lot more about computers than him.

I basically just overloaded him with technical jargon and he ended up confused. I knew it was a scam straight away with what he was saying, so I just started winding him up.

Yes this is very much what happened to me except when he phoned up to get me to log into remote control I wouldn't. You will not believe this but he has just had the cheek to ring me again and told me I really need to turn on my computer as I have not yet cleared the fault I told him that he was the fault and hung up on him. :rant::rant:

If they ring again, tell them you've contacted trading standards and the police, and that they've installed a number tracing device on your line so they will know exactly who's calling, and to expect a visit shortly. Then hang up.

This seems to be happening a lot. I've seen quite a few forum posts about this now. I bet they do manage to get control of lots of computers by doing this. It's a shame there isn't some way of making people more aware of this type of scam.

There was an article in the Guardian about it a couple of weeks ago...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres?CMP=twt_gu

• 4 weeks later...
Its a scam thats been going on ALONG TIME!!!!

Just hang up on the idiot!!

Just had a call today advising me that my PC had a virus etc., and they would talk me through removing them. Could I start-up PC to proceed?? "No I was having a sandwich"!!

I think he also called yesterday whilst I was out, if he rings again -!!!!!!!****!!! The annoying thing is that some trusting souls will get caught by these sods.

LogMeIn.com is a perfectly above board website that allows you to remote desktop into someone's PC. I use it all the time if someone from my family rings up.

Not sure what the 123.com is though and I won't be visiting it.

• 3 years later...

Archived