Britain was "junior partner" to US in fighting the Nazis

I did about a year of French in school. Our teacher was a Scot with a strong Jock accent but he spoke French like a Parisian Frenchman

I learned most of the verb structures, present, past and future and that a table was masculine and a chair was feminine.

I forgot it all pretty quickly after leaving school and when I arrived in Montreal as an immigrant the French they spoke there didnt sound like any of the stuff I learned at school so I brushed up on it in the most agreeable way by making the acquaintance of Lise who was more than willing to tutor me.

They say that you can learn more of a foreign language in the bedroom than studying any book and Lise certainly proved that to be true

When I arrived in Montreal I could barely understand their French They called it Joual, otherwise known as horse language, their way of saying cheval. I was told I spoke Parisian, and I thought that was kind of them, till somebosy explained it was an insult.:)

I did about a year of French in school. Our teacher was a Scot with a strong Jock accent but he spoke French like a Parisian Frenchman

I learned most of the verb structures, present, past and future and that a table was masculine and a chair was feminine.

I forgot it all pretty quickly after leaving school and when I arrived in Montreal as an immigrant the French they spoke there didnt sound like any of the stuff I learned at school so I brushed up on it in the most agreeable way by making the acquaintance of Lise who was more than willing to tutor me.

They say that you can learn more of a foreign language in the bedroom than studying any book and Lise certainly proved that to be true

When I arrived in Montreal I could barely understand their French They called it Joual, otherwise known as horse language, their way of saying cheval. I was told I spoke Parisian, and I thought that was kind of them, till somebody explained it was an insult.:)

No bias or venom involved, I just don't speak de lingo and couldn't find the forum translator.
Oooooh! hard2miss, you dobbed us in!! :nono:

If you ever need to translate anything you come across online, babelfish translator is basic but understandable and can translate scores of languages to English.

I've found it quite useful on some international fora, when people post in their mother tongue. :thumbsup:

Those Montreal girls sure had style, the best dressed women in Canada. They made Toronto women look like charwomen. Then I moved out to a little town on the Gaspe called New Rchmond where they all wore skidoo suits, summer and winter, then over to Newfoundland, where they sent you home from the paper mill when the outside temperature reached 70 F, too hot to work.:)

Those Montreal girls sure had style, the best dressed women in Canada. They made Toronto women look like charwomen. Then I moved out to a little town on the Gaspe called New Rchmond where they all wore skidoo suits, summer and winter, then over to Newfoundland, where they sent you home from the paper mill when the outside temperature reached 70 F, too hot to work.:)

Bet they still had mustache's though :)

It wasn't meant as a criticism to you, it was a sarcastic comment aimed at the person that you were replying to.

Why not direct it me then instead of going through a third party I could then answer by stating ,You wouldnt know the meaning of sarcasm if it landed heavily on your head...you didnt so I wont;)

Why not direct it me then instead of going through a third party I could then answer by stating ,You wouldnt know the meaning of sarcasm if it landed heavily on your head...you didnt so I wont;)

Um, it was directed at you, subtlety not your thing?

They sure did have style and looks too. Back then in the "leave it to beaver" kind of culture they also had wedding bells ringing in their ears after a few weeks of steady dating and I was in no state to get into that situation again after just getting away from a bad marriage in England.

It was a dazzling city though with great night spots, nice places, no hookers or booze hustlers, just decent places where you could go for an evening, listen to some good music and and enjoy a few dances

Six bucks would buy a T-bone steak, fries, coffee or half a barbecued chicken.

Quebec City was the mecca for girls though. A friend and I spent a weekend there and went to this night club above a restaurant. Literally wall to wall girls

with a sprinling of guys here and there. The Maitre D sat us at a table with six beauties. The big drawback though is that those rural farmers daughters couldn't speak a word of English, my French very sketchy at best and my mate's non existent. Still despite the very limited conversation dancing needs no interpretors. They were all catholics too and there was not much chance of some good hanky panky coming any time soon. The reason for the

high ratio of girls to men was that a lot of guys left to get jobs in Montreal or Toronto instead of working in low paying rural type jobs in that part of Quebec

It was histrorically interesting too not only for it's ancient houses and narrow cobbled streets but the part just outside the city named the Heights of Abraham where French General Montcalm and English General James Wolf met in battle that decided the future of North America

Archived