Britain was "junior partner" to US in fighting the Nazis

When I arrived in Montreal I could barely understand their French They called it Joual, otherwise known as horse language, their way of saying cheval. I was told I spoke Parisian, and I thought that was kind of them, till somebosy explained it was an insult.:)

Apparently the Quebec French was the French spoken by the early settlers from Normandy and Brittany with some modifications of course.

Many of them spoke what I would call "Franglais" Ten words in French and two words in English in every sentence.

I think the Quebec government eventually became concerened about it.

The only time I went back was in 2003. Everything was in French. No bilingual signs anymore.

We stayed in a nice little hotel near Atwater but the area had become somewhat blighted and St Catherine Street was full of panhandlers, the once nice night spots replaced with sleazy nudy bars.

For a few months I lived on Queen Mary Road not far from St Josephs Oratory. It was a nice area back then in 1965. Not much traffic, clean and quiet.

Since then a lot of Haitian immigrants had moved into that part and there was graffiti and the nice rustic apartment building I had once lived in looking like something from the Bronx

Overall though Montreal is still a really nice city

That can't be Harley. The Heights of Abraham are in Matlock Bath :-)

Unless I'm having a senior moment they are called the Heights of Abraham

In 1759 English General James Wolf and his army scaled the heights above the St Lawrence river and took the French army under General Moncalm by surprise. A battle ensued with the French army being defeated. Both General Wolf and Montcalm were killed in the battle but the outcome of the battle finally brought an end to the French-Indian war and upper Canada and the 13 American colonies remaining under British rule with the French army witdrawing and retruning to France

Bit of history there for ya :)

Prime Minister David Cameron has set about re-writing the history books.

He claimed in an interview with Sky that Britain was the junior partner to the US when fighting the Nazis in 1940.

It seems to have slipped his mind that the US wasn't even fighting in 1940 and only joined the war in 1941.

Is he so desperate to suck up to the Americans that he is willing to re-write history, or is he just an imbecile?

He is an imbecile- totally out of touch with reality and the real world that most of us live in.

That can't be Harley. The Heights of Abraham are in Matlock Bath :-)

I was wrong on a few details. It was in fact on an area of land outside Quebec City named the "Plains of Abraham" on which the battle was fought.

Thats what comes of an old fart trying to be a little too slick. Shoulda looked it up on the internet first before spouting off

I did pay a visit to the battle field site though and there are monuments to both the generals there

I was wrong on a few details. It was in fact on an area of land outside Quebec City named the "Plains of Abraham" on which the battle was fought.

Thats what comes of an old fart trying to be a little too slick. Shoulda looked it up on the internet first before spouting off

I did pay a visit to the battle field site though and there are monuments to both the generals there

I know the city pretty well, and I think it is the Heights od Abraham. Its not outside the city limits but a hill right in the middle. The famous Chateau Frontenac Hotel where the big three conference was held in WW2 is right on it.

Apparently the Quebec French was the French spoken by the early settlers from Normandy and Brittany with some modifications of course.

Many of them spoke what I would call "Franglais" Ten words in French and two words in English in every sentence.

I think the Quebec government eventually became concerened about it.

The only time I went back was in 2003. Everything was in French. No bilingual signs anymore.

We stayed in a nice little hotel near Atwater but the area had become somewhat blighted and St Catherine Street was full of panhandlers, the once nice night spots replaced with sleazy nudy bars.

For a few months I lived on Queen Mary Road not far from St Josephs Oratory. It was a nice area back then in 1965. Not much traffic, clean and quiet.

Since then a lot of Haitian immigrants had moved into that part and there was graffiti and the nice rustic apartment building I had once lived in looking like something from the Bronx

Overall though Montreal is still a really nice city

I lived my first year in Montreal near the Italian area of LaSalle across the tracks from NDG. We then bought a new house in Brossard on the South shore. I had to sell it within twp years because I joined a Columbus, Ohio company that shipped me out to the Gaspe, then Newfoundland. I returned to Montreal in 1975 and took an apartment in Dollard des Ormeaux, before moving to Massachusets in 1977. Did you ever watch the devotees going up the steps of the Oratory on their knees?:)

I lived my first year in Montreal near the Italian area of LaSalle across the tracks from NDG. We then bought a new house in Brossard on the South shore. I had to sell it within twp years because I joined a Columbus, Ohio company that shipped me out to the Gaspe, then Newfoundland. I returned to Montreal in 1975 and took an apartment in Dollard des Ormeaux, before moving to Massachusets in 1977. Did you ever watch the devotees going up the steps of the Oratory on their knees?:)

I do indeed remember those penitents making their way up all those steps on their knees with their rosary beads clutched in their hands.. I'd never seen anything like it before I arrived in Montreal

Did you ever go inside the place and see all those old wooden crutches hanging on the walls? There was a little box on a small altar with someone's heart preserved in it also. I think it was the heart of a priest who was some kind of miracle healer many years back

I just have to shake my head at such things

Archived