Britain was "junior partner" to US in fighting the Nazis

Cotton-Top, I'm in :o ... you can't say that about buck, he's not wretched refuse, he's an old navy man! I'm not so sure about the others, but even so ... what are you thinking! tsk! *shakes head*

:D

You're right , Ruby, I'm not wretched anything. The huddled masses might apply though. 50 million in a place not much bigger than Florida.:)

Is that something to be proud of? I hold a far better certificate.

A British Birth Certificate, and a British Passport, and a British Seamans Card, and Discharge Book.

These are things that you can only drool over, for they can never be yours.

The entire world longs to to be British, I know for I sailed the world over.

To be British is the worlds desire, and we are who are born to it, sometimes, foolishly scorn it.

Don't forget to drool over his Seaman's card, Cotton top. He worked the cruise liners, probably as a steward, which barely qualifies for the name seaman. Seamen work the watches conning and keeping the engines running, which, reading any of his posts would convince you that there's nothing there. Long on about Britain, old buddy, it'll save me from bothering.:hihi:

The more I read of buck and harleyman I am drawn to the conclusion that the nearest they have been to the USA is their computer screens.

They seem to have read their grandads life storys and are living out some strange fantasy.

Eh, Harley, Wanna meet me in t'Nelson"s terneet, or t"Mucky duck. Have a couple of jars and a short. Secret's out tha knows! Dusta think we ought to ask owd Arsitan theer. He'd love to meet us, but not in t'dark

The more I read of buck and harleyman I am drawn to the conclusion that the nearest they have been to the USA is their computer screens.

They seem to have read their grandads life storys and are living out some strange fantasy.

:hihi: This is the daftest post yet :hihi:

Oh, come on! I was just messing. Cotton Top took it in the spirit in which it was intended even you can't.

After all, however well intended, it must have been a bit of a slap in the face for the immigrants to find out, after being in peril on the seas for weeks, that they were being welcomed as a bit of 'wretched refuse' from a distant shore.

What they used to call a 'backhanded compliment' ;)

I doubt if many of them spoke English, and even if they did its a fair distance from the Statue of Liberty to the run into port. I don't believe they had much with them and certainly not binoculars. Aunt Peggy came to Ellis Island in 1922 from County Clare, but I can't ask her cos she's dead:)

I never thought that I would have seen SF brought so low, as you have done buck.

You are the least.

I am not a person given to bragging, so suffice it to say that I am a highly qualified engineer, and among my qualifications, have my seconds ticket in Marine Steam Engineering.

Just to add I was 3rd engineer on the original Oriana, back in the 70's.

I never thought that I would have seen SF brought so low, as you have done buck.

You are the least.

I am not a person given to bragging, so suffice it to say that I am a highly qualified engineer, and among my qualifications, have my seconds ticket in Marine Steam Engineering.

Just to add I was 3rd engineer on the original Oriana, back in the 70's.

You're as much a Marine Steam Engineer as I am living in Sheffield. You're a bleddy stoker!:hihi: And the next time you try picking on someone, be prepared to get it back. You like to dish it out but you can't take it, hypocrite.

Archived