Britain was "junior partner" to US in fighting the Nazis

why should spelling have anything to do with my opinion you mamalagudia:confused:(look it up you think y**k)

I would say speaking from an old fashioned point of view that the ability to spell reasonably well indicates your level of education and intelligence. That doesn't say much for you.

Anyway get lost. I've no intention of getting into a slagging contest with someone like you. Your kind are a dime a dozen on this forum

I'm aware that there was a very considerable Commonwealth presence in the Far East but thanks to the bungling of the Far East C in C general Percival most were either killed or taken prisoner after the fall of Singapore, Borneo and Sumatra. Many British and Australian soldiers were debarked from ships in Singapore only to be taken prsioner a week later without getting the chance to fire a shot in anger. A neighbor of ours in Sheffield was one of them. 90 thousand soldiers languishing in POW camps are of no use in fighting a war and from 1941 onwards they were lost to us.

Fighting all the way across hundreds of Pacific islands to the Japanese mainland was a task that demanded a huge naval force as well as a few million men and the US was the best equipped to deal with a war of that kind

Churchill in talks with Roosevelt stressed that the war in Europe shopuld take priority and Roosevelt agreed to that. There was however a serious difference of opinion on how the war was to be prosecuted.

Roosevelt and the American generals wanted a big build of troops in the UK and as soon as possible an invasion as early as 1943, Churchill on the other hand wanted a second front launched somewhere in the Adriatic and a landing in the Baltic region for some unknown reason. He got his way as regards invading Sicily and then mainland Italy but essentially it was always regarded as something of a sideshow by historians

The Singapore debacle is what I consider to be criminal negligence by the British leadership in Singapore, utter disgraceful leadership.

The reason that so many of the British leadership were so hesitant to invade Northern Europe was that they were convinced that we'd only have the one opportunity to do it, so we'd better get it right. I also believe that the lessons learned in Operation Torch, and further amphibious operations including the disastrous Anzio operation led to the success of Operation Overlord.

I have an inkling that Churchill's obsession with the Baltic was political, and he wanted a Western allied presence in Eastern Europe to counter Stalin's opportunism. Churchill was wrong though as a Military invasion should be done for military and not political reasons, a lesson that he should have learned from Gallipoli.

I would say speaking from an old fashioned point of view that the ability to spell reasonably well indicates your level of education and intelligence. That doesn't say much for you.

Anyway get lost. I've no intention of getting into a slagging contest with someone like you. Your kind are a dime a dozen on this forum

i would find it hard to get lost i have lived in sheffield all my life.As for my intelligence and education you know nothing about me , so grab your banjo and get duelling and ask your mom for some more intimate moments on your own you american know it all :nono:

We wouldn't have got bailed out at all if the Japanese had not bombed Pearl Harbour - America was determined not to enter the war and Pearl Harbour is the only reason they did.

They would have finished up having to fight anyway because we would have lost and Germany & Japan would have ruled the entire European / Asian continent from the Atlantic to the Pacific and America would have been the only one left on the list. Even America could not have stood up to the might of a victorious Germany & Japan together - unless of course they nuked three quarters of the entire world.

Really? I thought that was why they declared war on Japan. From what I remember of my history classes FDR never had the support of the Senate (or American people) to fully engage in a European war until Hitler declared war on the USA on 11th December 1941. In hindsight it was probably up there with his other biggest gaffes of invading the Soviet Union and giving up that painting hobby to get into politics.

Forget what ? you're the ones that keep bringing it up...anyhow, we got Bailed out..be thankfull
When was the last time you heard an American mention they pulled Britain out of trouble in WW2. It was probably been around 1973 in my opinion. But in 2010 SF is still on about it. Time to shut up about it:rant:

The Singapore debacle is what I consider to be criminal negligence by the British leadership in Singapore, utter disgraceful leadership.

The reason that so many of the British leadership were so hesitant to invade Northern Europe was that they were convinced that we'd only have the one opportunity to do it, so we'd better get it right. I also believe that the lessons learned in Operation Torch, and further amphibious operations including the disastrous Anzio operation led to the success of Operation Overlord.

I have an inkling that Churchill's obsession with the Baltic was political, and he wanted a Western allied presence in Eastern Europe to counter Stalin's opportunism. Churchill was wrong though as a Military invasion should be done for military and not political reasons, a lesson that he should have learned from Gallipoli.

There was quite a bit of difference of opinion between the allies which was never revealed until many years later. Montgomery thought very poorly of Eisenhower and his abilities to oversee the European operation. Patton thought little of Eisenhower also and then the giant egos of Monty and Patton were the cause of endless bickerings and rivalry.

Monty's plan was launch a concerted thrust across nothern Europe right into the heart of Germany and end up in Berlin and he was angered and disgusted at Eisenhower's decision to launch the attack against Germany by splitting the armies into three groups and concentrating on a broad front.

Stalin was eternally distrustful of the western allies first by their delay in getting a second front started and then the suspicion that the western allies might sign a separate peace agreement with Germany.

The main thing though is despite all this the three big allies were able to achieve victory in the end.

C'mon folks, we all know it was the Americans won the war...mostly Audie Murphy and John Wayne. It also turns out it was the Americans who captured the Enigma coding machine from the German U-Boat that chnged the course of the war in Europe.

Don't they teach history at school any more ? :hihi:

C'mon folks, we all know it was the Americans won the war...mostly Audie Murphy and John Wayne. It also turns out it was the Americans who captured the Enigma coding machine from the German U-Boat that chnged the course of the war in Europe.

Don't they teach history at school any more ? :hihi:

Whose fault is it if the British film industry didnt churn out a bunch of war films glorifying their own part in the conflict whether it be fact or fiction?

There were quite a few British film studios around in the years following WW2. They could have found heroes in the genre of Wayne and Murphy. Seems instead they chose to concentrate on such types of films depicting nurses being chased around in their underwear by horny male patients and loads of "risque" jokes to go along with it.

Then there were the kitchen sink dramas like "Saturday night and Sunday Morning" and "Look back in Anger"

to entertain audiences who themselves lived their own lives in the same dreary settings of mean looking rain soaked side streets of two up and two down houses. Each to his own taste it seems

I did like those old "Carry On" movies though

Archived