The last of the Mitford sisters.

I have been reading about the Mitford sisters and their exploits.

One was in love with Adolph Hitler, another had an affair with Mosley, the brother Tom refused to fight the Germans but was killed foghting the Japs, he was the cousin of Churchils wife Clementine.

Deborah who is now the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire had tea with Hitler along with her mother and sister.

Deborah is the only one still living and runs Chatsworth house.

There were rumours that Unity secretly had Hitlers child.

How close did we come to Adolph Hitlers walking his dogs around Chatsworth park with his friends in the British aristocracy?.

Very.

The Mitford Sisters were just the ones who went public about it. Many people high up in British society were also the same way inclined.

This is a cracking book that brings the British aristocracy into the equation right up to the very top level:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Standards-Rudolf-Hess-Cover-up/dp/0751532207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279791697&sr=8-1-spell

It's only a question of time before The Hitler Channel -- sorry, The History Channel -- makes a documentary about them, if they haven't already.

It would be really interesting, this family were contraversial to say the least.

Maybe they prefer to keep it as quiet as possible. They had some powerful relatives and in Laws.

I wonder if the Dowager thinks the Hitler youth would have been better visitors than the youth of today on the Chatsworth estate?.

Many people high up in British society were also the same way inclined.

That is one reason i like Churchill, even though he has his faults. He could see what Hitler was trying to do when others around him disagreed. It's one of the reasons Chamberlain is punished a tiny little bit too harshly by history, i think. He was only pursuing a peace that people around him actually wanted. Churchill was considered war-happy, dangerous even. The Norwegian Campaign in 1940 didn't help Churchill, he still wasn't fully trusted with military power until much later in the war.

I watched a tv show on Ch5 t'other night about Mussolini. The Italian Fascists had the support of an high-powered Jewish community, including heads of banks. It was only years later when the Nazis injected their anti-semitism into the Italian fascist movement that these people understood what they had let themselves be involved with.

That is one reason i like Churchill, even though he has his faults. He could see what Hitler was trying to do when others around him disagreed.

Churchill was a fat spoilt drunk who had already displayed massive failures, yet his mother kept sleeping him into positions of authority.

He was a warmonger. He was a **** politician. And going off the things levelled at the Nuremberg trials there is no reason why he should not have been tried for war crimes. As well as many others in positions of power for the allies.

But, history is owned and written by the victors...*yawn*...as the saying goes.

War, what is it good for……..ew, crap song.

Churchill was a fat spoilt drunk who had already displayed massive failures, yet his mother kept sleeping him into positions of authority.

He was a warmonger. He was a **** politician. And going off the things levelled at the Nuremberg trials there is no reason why he should not have been tried for war crimes. As well as many others in positions of power for the allies.

Wooh. A very strong opinion. I feel floored by it. :)

But, history is owned and written by the victors...*yawn*...as the saying goes.

War, what is it good for……..ew, crap song.

He new a good cigar when he saw one.

This Mitford familly seem very iffy to me.

The Mitfords were certainly a fascinating and politically polarised family. Whilst some of the sisters were flirting with fascism (which was quite fashionable in that social milieu of the day, look at Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson for example), Jessica, who emigrated to the States, was a communist and civil rights campaigner. She and her husband Robert Treuhaft were at one time brought before the House Un-American Activities Committee and were supporters of Martin Luther King Jr.

That is one reason i like Churchill, even though he has his faults. He could see what Hitler was trying to do when others around him disagreed. It's one of the reasons Chamberlain is punished a tiny little bit too harshly by history, i think. He was only pursuing a peace that people around him actually wanted. Churchill was considered war-happy, dangerous even. The Norwegian Campaign in 1940 didn't help Churchill, he still wasn't fully trusted with military power until much later in the war.

I watched a tv show on Ch5 t'other night about Mussolini. The Italian Fascists had the support of an high-powered Jewish community, including heads of banks. It was only years later when the Nazis injected their anti-semitism into the Italian fascist movement that these people understood what they had let themselves be involved with.

Better Churchill in charge rather than that little weazel faced pacifist wa**er

Neville Chamberlain. It was his continuous policy of appeasement that got Hitler thinking he could get away with anything. No one wanted another war, not even Hitler but Chamberlain got himslef backed into a corner along with the French in agreeing to declare was if Poland was invaded.

Had Churchill been in charge in the years immediately before WW2 Hitler would have been cut to size. It's a historical fact that if the British and French had opposed his re-occupation of the Ruhr River Valley in 1936 the German generals would have moved to overthrow Hitler right away

Archived