The last of the Mitford sisters.

Better Churchill in charge rather than that little weazel faced pacifist wa**er

Neville Chamberlain. It was his continuous policy of appeasement that got Hitler thinking he could get away with anything.

I agree with you in a way, but this is my point about Chamberlain being punished by history. He was only a politician. Chamberlain represented a lot of people who didn't want a war, even to the original point of this thread; some people in the higher echelons of society liked fascism. Our monarchy even had a little daliance with it.

After the war it is easy for everyone to say "i knew Hitler was evil all along," when in retrospect it isn't true. History only punishes Chamberlain for his view, but he was far from alone.

When Chamberlain signed the Munich agreement with Hitler the aristocracy greeted him as a hero.

To be a pedant and balance things out, it wasn't solely the aristocracy. There were fascists and appeasers in all areas of society.

Also a lot of people who had suffered in WW1 didn't want a war. My Grandfather tells a story about his family. His Mother had lost her 1st husband and 2 brothers in WW1, and they had a little party when Chamberlain said there wasn't going to be a war. My Grandad was about 14 and remembers it well. A lot of people could ignore German Imperialism if it meant they didn't have to go and fight for a second time, or send their children to do so.

To be a pedant and balance things out, it wasn't solely the aristocracy. There were fascists and appeasers in all areas of society.

Oh I fully agree. I was just using them as an example and in the context of this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
The Mitfords were certainly a fascinating and politically polarised family. Whilst some of the sisters were flirting with fascism (which was quite fashionable in that social milieu of the day, look at Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson for example), Jessica, who emigrated to the States, was a communist and civil rights campaigner. She and her husband Robert Treuhaft were at one time brought before the House Un-American Activities Committee and were supporters of Martin Luther King Jr.

Related to the Kennedy's, Friends with Hitler, Mosley etc etc etc, these girls certainly got about.

I bet the Dowager of Chatsworth could tell a tale or two.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived