No charges in G20 death of Ian Tomlinson - Pc Harwood found not guilty.

It was the Thatcher government that brought in the Police and Criminal Evidence Act.

The most liberalizing and Police activity curbing piece of legislation ever.

I see that was introduced in 1984,Iv had a glance through it but I cant find the piece which says ..In the possibility of a miners strike and ensuing actions at Orgreave and other similar places this legislation may be disregarded...Im sure it must be in there someplace.;)

I see that was introduced in 1984,Iv had a glance through it but I cant find the piece which says ..In the possibility of a miners strike and ensuing actions at Orgreave and other similar places this legislation may be disregarded...Im sure it must be in there someplace.;)

It was really intended for criminality rather than political or public order issues. Certainly it may be right that the situation facing the Thatcher government was such that any powers used by the Police would be stretched in their interpretation.

The Riot Act was never used as I believe it was in earlier confrontations with the elected government. Troops were not called out to confront pickets and firearms were not used by either side.

No emergency legislation was rushed through by Thatcher, I suspect therefore that the government and the Police felt they had sufficient powers to deal with the strike.

It was really intended for criminality rather than political or public order issues. Certainly it may be right that the situation facing the Thatcher government was such that any powers used by the Police would be stretched in their interpretation.

The Riot Act was never used as I believe it was in earlier confrontations with the elected government. Troops were not called out to confront pickets and firearms were not used by either side.

No emergency legislation was rushed through by Thatcher, I suspect therefore that the government and the Police felt they had sufficient powers to deal with the strike.

Yep take the Tomlinson situation and the actions of 1 police officer and multiply it by ..I dont know throw a number up double it add 6 and multiply it again and you may get the same actions by the number of Police Officers on anti picket duty.

im sure i read somewhere recently (at least in the last fortnight) thatcher was drawing up plans to bring in the troops to sort out the miners. under the disclosure of the 30 year secrets act . correct me if im wrong:roll:

im sure i read somewhere recently (at least in the last fortnight) thatcher was drawing up plans to bring in the troops to sort out the miners. under the disclosure of the 30 year secrets act . correct me if im wrong:roll:

You seem surprisingly cordial this evening.

No I am not aware of any such plan, although I would be surprised if any government did not have a contingency plan to cover such a situation.

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 16:59 ----------

Yep take the Tomlinson situation and the actions of 1 police officer and multiply it by ..I dont know throw a number up double it add 6 and multiply it again and you may get the same actions by the number of Police Officers on anti picket duty.

I am sure the Police overstepped the mark on occasions, but so did the pickets, there are no entirely right and entirely wrongs in these situations.

You seem surprisingly cordial this evening.

No I am not aware of any such plan, although I would be surprised if any government did not have a contingency plan to cover such a situation.

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 16:59 ----------

I am sure the Police overstepped the mark on occasions, but so did the pickets, there are no entirely right and entirely wrongs in these situations.

Were you there..believe me the pickets never stood a chance,the Police at Orgreave were not local plod they were too well trained to be

Were you there..believe me the pickets never stood a chance,the Police at Orgreave were not local plod they were too well trained to be
while working down in exeter in 1989 we were stopped by the police (early morning driving/the police having nothing else to do)anyway when we spoke to the police officer he told us about the wonderfull time he had at orgreave and the money he earnt (it allowed him to buy a house more quickly):suspect:

Originally Posted by Peer Gynt View Post

Must have been drunk then.

So how come you're still alive?

We all have crosses to bear, ours is you and Halibut.

---------- Post added 07-08-2013 at 08:13 ----------

while working down in exeter in 1989 we were stopped by the police (early morning driving/the police having nothing else to do)anyway when we spoke to the police officer he told us about the wonderfull time he had at orgreave and the money he earnt (it allowed him to buy a house more quickly):suspect:

How true, my brother was a policeman at that time, he made a packet.

Archived