Etiquette at the butchers

I bought a lovely piece of gammon at our local butcher's shop.

I like no fat on it so I asked him to trim all of it off.

He put the piece of meat (including the fat) on the scales and gave me the price (which I thought was a little expensive, but hey!)

He then trimmed the fat off and sold it to me and it was half the size I expected. (with the fat included)

I paid for it, t was nice, but should I have paid for the meat only, without the weight of the fat?

Is he selling me a product and I have asked for some of it to be removed which is my choice?

Secondly, if I went to a supermarket (perhaps the deli) I'm sure they would not charge me for the fat they chopped off!

I think with The Weights and Measures Act 1985, you only pay for what you take home. If you are buying a piece of gammon it isn't your responsibility to pay for the fat taken off. I'm no expert though, maybe someone will know more than me.

General offences

28 Short weight, etc(1)

Subject to sections 33 to 37 below, any person who, in selling or purporting to sell any goods by weight or other measurement or by number, delivers or causes to be delivered to the buyer—

(a)a lesser quantity than that purported to be sold, or

(b)a lesser quantity than corresponds with the price charged,

shall be guilty of an offence.

I bought a lovely piece of gammon at our local butcher's shop.

I like no fat on it so I asked him to trim all of it off.

He put the piece of meat (including the fat) on the scales and gave me the price (which I thought was a little expensive, but hey!)

He then trimmed the fat off and sold it to me and it was half the size I expected. (with the fat included)

I paid for it, t was nice, but should I have paid for the meat only, without the weight of the fat?

Is he selling me a product and I have asked for some of it to be removed which is my choice?

Secondly, if I went to a supermarket (perhaps the deli) I'm sure they would not charge me for the fat they chopped off!

the price is determined by the type of cut, if it was displayed and priced without the fat then the cost of the cut would be marked up accordingly.

hope this makes sense

Guest sibon
I think with The Weights and Measures Act 1985, you only pay for what you take home. If you are buying a piece of gammon it isn't your responsibility to pay for the fat taken off. I'm no expert though, maybe someone will know more than me.

General offences

28 Short weight, etc(1)

Subject to sections 33 to 37 below, any person who, in selling or purporting to sell any goods by weight or other measurement or by number, delivers or causes to be delivered to the buyer—

(a)a lesser quantity than that purported to be sold, or

(b)a lesser quantity than corresponds with the price charged,

shall be guilty of an offence.

But, the price per kilo would surely have been for the fatty meat. Perhaps lean gammon costs more.

If i was the butcher I would have cut the fat off, wrapped it seperately and put it in the bag. Then the customer chooses to take it home, or not.

Yeah, some people like fat. That's not the butcher's fault. His margins are based on selling meat in certain cuts. If you want it another way, I don't think he should be left with the bits you don't want.

It's like broccoli. Very few people eat the stalks, but should we only pay for the florets?

Similarly, some people peel carrots, but others don't. Should we pay for the skin or not?

I think the answer is to speak to the butcher next time. Tell him it was great meat and v tasty, but would he mind weighing it after he's cut the meat off. If he kicks off, then go to another butcher.

Supply and demand rocks!

I guess because they price it up with the fat included they are entitled to do this. I would probably want the fat to take home too, just out of principle! Then probably end up putting it in the bin! :D

My Bold.

They probably end up putting it in the dripping, or the pastries!

If you buy a cut of meat on the bone and then ask to have it boned out the butcher should weigh it,then take out the bone and offer the customer the bone to take with it. I think the same should apply to fat, rind etc. When pork chops used to have a bit of kidney attaced to them,were you paying pork prices for offal?

Archived