Etiquette at the butchers

I think with The Weights and Measures Act 1985, you only pay for what you take home. If you are buying a piece of gammon it isn't your responsibility to pay for the fat taken off. I'm no expert though, maybe someone will know more than me.

General offences

28 Short weight, etc(1)

Subject to sections 33 to 37 below, any person who, in selling or purporting to sell any goods by weight or other measurement or by number, delivers or causes to be delivered to the buyer—

(a)a lesser quantity than that purported to be sold, or

(b)a lesser quantity than corresponds with the price charged,

shall be guilty of an offence.

That's not the case with fish. If you buy a whole sea bass and ask for it filleted they will weigh the fish, quote the price, then fillet it. Sounds like the butcher has just done similar.

No-one goes to the butcher to buy pieces of fat cut off the meat. Who do you think is going to pay for the fat that you dont want? :huh:

Lean gammon would have to be priced higher at the point of sale than gammon with fat left on.

If you buy a roasting joint from the popular butchers in Woodseats (whose name escapes me) they ask if you want a bit of fat for the roasting and throw it in for free. It's a decent butchers, that. It's not super high quality, just high quality, but for the price and service it can't be beaten locally.

Archived