British soldier set to lose disability allowance

I believe this is a mean spirited, anybody who has their limbs blown off in the service of their country should benefit from a more liberal application of the rules, in my opinion.

Maybe he should be eligible for some sort of war pension on top of incapacity benefit (by whatever new name!), but I don't agree that the rules on DLA should be relaxed. They are what they are.

Actually, for all I know he may be drawing a war pension on top of being paid for being unfit to work.

I believe this is mean spirited, anybody who has their limbs blown off in the service of their country should benefit from a more liberal application of the rules, in my opinion.

He did choose to join the army and must have been aware that the risk of being injured in battle was high. He is still capable of some kind of work, even if he can't be in the forces any more.

He did choose to join the army and must have been aware that the risk of being injured in battle was high. He is still capable of some kind of work, even if he can't be in the forces any more.

I dont doubt it, but his knowledge of the potential hazards doesn't ameliorate his position now.

These are young kids we're talking about who have a lifetime of disability to look forward to because of an injury that was incurred in the line of duty, I understand that many others will have compelling reasons also, but in the case of service people I believe every effort should be made to accommodate their requests rather than deny them.

As much as I feel for this guy, the fact remains that he failed the assessment for DLA. There are very strict rules for claiming this benefit and it is strictly regulated. You have to provide exstensive medical records and how your disability affects your everyday life. The fact he was turned down when his condition improved just shows that the system is working as it should

He did choose to join the army and must have been aware that the risk of being injured in battle was high.

I agree, if a steel worker is crushed under a piece of steel, a builder falls of a building or a oil rig workers finds his oil rig has just blown-up they should get nothing, surely they should have expected these things might happen before they started the job ?

Throw them out into the snow I say, and their families too.

Maybe he should be eligible for some sort of war pension on top of incapacity benefit (by whatever new name!), but I don't agree that the rules on DLA should be relaxed. They are what they are.

Actually, for all I know he may be drawing a war pension on top of being paid for being unfit to work.

Sorry, I was really speaking in broader terms, Ive no real knowledge of the benefits that are available, but assuming he isn't receiving additional benefits from other sources then I believe special arrangements should be made for service people, assuming they dont already.

Sorry, I was really speaking in broader terms, Ive no real knowledge of the benefits that are available, but assuming he isn't receiving additional benefits from other sources then I believe special arrangements should be made for service people, assuming they dont already.

On those grounds, yes I'd agree with you. I know that war pensions exist, but I know nothing about who gets them and how badly wounded they need to be.

He certainly deserves some sort of payment for being injured in the line of duty, whether or not his injuries are bad enough to qualify for DLA. Of course, the media report, being the typical "froth, spume, vent" sort of thing you get in the modern media, doesn't mention what payments he is on; it only talks about the one he no longer gets.

It is totally absurd that service people should get special arrangements, everyone should be equal.

I also find it offensive when someone said he was fighting for this country... He wasn't he was part of an invading army. The government are a total disgrace, this man lost limbs helping them implement their shameful foreign policy and now they are hanging him out to dry. This man has made a mistake in his forms i think as the rule is walking 400 metres unaided... Well obviously he cannot do that without the aid of his prosthetic limb.

Good luck to him yet another victim of the previous labour government.

Archived