British soldier set to lose disability allowance

Ricgem2002, when starting new threads relating to news stories, please always provide a link to said story. That way, members can make their own opinions on the matter.

Not sure if this is the same story, but it seems likely.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/07/23/soldier-who-lost-leg-in-afghanistan-has-180-disability-cash-axed-115875-22433124/

since when has it become policy to start any thread with a link to the story ? did i not get a pm telling me this is now a forum rule?

I dont doubt it, but his knowledge of the potential hazards doesn't ameliorate his position now.

These are young kids we're talking about who have a lifetime of disability to look forward to because of an injury that was incurred in the line of duty, I understand that many others will have compelling reasons also, but in the case of service people I believe every effort should be made to accommodate their requests rather than deny them.

I don't often agree with you but on this occassion you're spot on.

And rightly so he should lose it 400 metres is the law and we must all live by it

I am disgusted we are even discussing it

I'm disgusted by the fact that so many people claim DLA when there is nothing up with them; other than ME or CFS. They need to grow a pair just like this brave lad.

And rightly so he should lose it 400 metres is the law and we must all live by it

I am disgusted we are even discussing it

Well then they should have tested him in the following days when the repercussions of walking those 400 metres kick in.

Well then they should have tested him in the following days when the repercussions of walking those 400 metres kick in.

DLA is not payable for repercussions. If he can walk so far without needing help, there is no requirement to pay him for the help he needs.

We still don't know whether or not he's drawing a war pension, which is where his money should be coming from. Nobody disputes that, as a disabled veteran, he deserves to be paid a hefty weekly sum by the state. DLA, though, is not the method by which it should be paid.

DLA is not payable for repercussions. If he can walk so far without needing help, there is no requirement to pay him for the help he needs..

He couldn't walk that distance on any of the following days so he should have been paid, being a jobsworth is what causes these problems, the next time he takes the test he will no doubt walk 400 metres the day before therefore making himself unable to complete the test whilst at the same time telling the truth.

Archived