How to find great grandmother's maiden name

I have traced my great grandparents back and they lived in Court 1, Reginald Street which was Attercliffe/Brightside from at least 1901 to 1911 as they are on both these census'. Any advice on how to find her (Sarah Ann West) maiden name?

In the census returns, Sarah Ann West is shown as the wife of Anthony West. Their oldest child, William, was 17 in 1901, and so would have been born in 1882-83. The freebmd.org.uk site suggests that an Anthony West married a Sarah Ann Harris in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1883. If you obtain the marriage certificate, and Anthony's occupation is given as a railway worker (as in the 1901 and 1911 census returns) then this would seem to confirm that you have the right couple!.:)

On the 1891 census Sarah Ann West gives her age as 26 (born abt. 1865) and her place of birth being Legsby, Lincolnshire.

Anthony West was a "Railway Porter" born abt. 1862 in Blyborough, Lincolnshire.

Samuel West born abt.1871 is the brother of Anthony West and is a "Market Porter" born same place as his brother Anthony West.

Regards,

Duffems

That's great thanks. Really getting somewhere this morning. I have Italian ancestors somewhere but I think on my great grandmother's side as my gran was Doris Valle West, and this was an old family name. But I can now do more investigating. Thanks again

...I have Italian ancestors somewhere but I think on my great grandmother's side as my gran was Doris Valle West, and this was an old family name...
Aha! ... In my post I mentioned that the freebmd.org.uk site suggested that Anthony West married a Sarah Ann Harris in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1883, but sometimes it isn't possible to identify with certainty from the index which person someone married, if two people of the same name married around the same time. I guessed that Sarah Anne Harris was the right one, but the alternative in this case is Sarah Ann VALLE, and this is clearly the right person.

Sarah appears in the 1871 census as a 6 year-old with the name "Sarah A. Valley" (the Italian pronunciation of "Valle" would be something like "Valley" to an enumerator). We know from census returns that Sarah was born at Legsby, Lincolnshire, and in 1871 she lived there with her parents Jaciber (sic) Valle(y) who was born in Italy but had become a British Subject, and Sarah A. Valle(y), born at Gainsborough, also three siblings. Both parents were then aged 48 - see this scan from the census return.

It would be worth applying for the marriage certificate, as these are rich in detail. You can obtain a certificate from the Register Office in Sheffield (back of the Town hall) or by registering on the G.R.O. site (see here for example) and paying by credit/debit card. The relevant details are:

April-June 1883, Sarah Ann Valle, Sheffield, Volume 9c Page 465.

Hillsbro, you are a veritable genius sir !
My wife thinks I'm a little "eccentric" but tolerates my eccentricities!.:hihi: I've always enjoyed research of various kinds, and the Internet is a godsend.

It would be interesting to know what made "Jaciber" Valle leave his homeland and come to live in Lincolnshire. He appears in the 1861 census at Legsby as "John Valley" born in "Piedmont (Sardinia)". He married Sarah in 1846, and so he would not have been one of the Italians who fled the country after the 1848 revolutions.

John is recorded in the 1851 census as "Jacomine Vally" living at the farm at Legsby where he worked, while "Sarah Vally" a "labourer's wife" aged 25, born at Morton (just outside Gainsborough) lived nearby. John/Jacomine and Sarah had at least 11 children, all born at Legsby between 1847 and 1869 - John, Rose, Charles, William, George, Lazine, Samuel, Mary, Sarah Ann (born Oct-Dec 1864), Samuel B. and Thomas Henry.

A bit of googling took me to this page from which is is clear that "Jacomin Valle" married Sarah Bellamy at Legsby in November 1846. Sarah was born at Morton in 1827 and died aged 51 in 1878. Jacomin (his original name was probably Giacomino) was born c. 1823 in Sardinia. I was unable to find a record of his death but he survived until after 1881 as he appears as a widower in the 1881 census, living at Legsby with his 12 year-old son Thomas, and with Sarah Ann, then 17, as housekeeper. Perhaps Sarah Ann moved to Sheffield after her father died, or perhaps he returned to Italy. Thomas also moved to Sheffield; the 1891 census finds "Thomas Valle", age 22 born in Lincolnshire, as a "gardener, boarder" in the household of the wealthy Martha Cocking at 13 Stafford Road, Sheffield. Sarah Ann evidently died aged 70 in Sheffield in 1935.

Another researcher "Margaret in Burton" is tracing this line - see here.

Postscript: Come to think of it, I don't live very far from Legsby, and I promised Mrs hillsbro a pub lunch at our favourite watering-hole in nearby Market Rasen.... I might just have a look in the churchyard for any relevant graves....

Archived