Jon Venables pleads guilty & gets 2 years

I'd like nothing better than for that to be the case BF, But it wouldn't come has any surprise to me if they did eventually release him. I mean, he'll no doubt be telling his state funded victim support worker, everything s/he want to hear right now, Venables isn't green behind the ears in that respect is he? <Which raises the question> If he does, once again manage to convince the powers that be, that he's finally a reformed character, truly remorseful for his actions. what other method is there of testing is sincerity other than releasing him?.
I know it's tempting to believe that parole boards are made up of benign upper class ladies in twinset and pearls, but the process is rigorous. I dont believe it's possible to eradicate all risk of re-offending, and the offender's own account isn't just what's looked at.

The prison and probation service will have detailed history on his behaviour in prison, it's hard to maintain a false impression throughout a long sentence, and of course most prison/probation officers have seen it all before, that information is made available to the parole board.

I know he's re-offended and it indicates failings of the system, but that indiscretion will be of real importance when he becomes eligible for parole, the people reviewing, far from giving him the benefit of any doubt, would probably need really compelling reasons to release him.

Personally, it wouldnt trouble me if the key was thrown away.

They'll give him the benefit of the doubt ... and he'll walk, it wouldn't surprise me if it's done hush-hush either. Like Hindley??:suspect:

Didn't old Myra shake a seven from behind bars?

I know it's tempting to believe that parole boards are made up of benign upper class ladies in twinset and pearls, but the process is rigorous. I dont believe it's possible to eradicate all risk of re-offending, and the offender's own account isn't just what's looked at.

The prison and probation service will have detailed history on his behaviour in prison, it's hard to maintain a false impression throughout a long sentence, and of course most prison/probation officers have seen it all before, that information is made available to the parole board.

I know he's re-offended and indicates failings of the system, but that indiscretion will of real importance when he becomes eligible for parole, the people reviewing, far from giving him the benefit of any doubt, would probably need really compelling reasons to release him.

Hear! Hear! bf, a well thought out post as per usual.

I know he's re-offended and indicates failings of the system, but that indiscretion will of real importance when he becomes eligible for parole, the people reviewing, far from giving him the benefit of any doubt, would probably need really compelling reasons to release him.

Very well said, I have to agree BF.

Posted boyfriday

So we're led to believe.. I have my suspicions about that news story. Maybe just me though.

So we're led to believe.. I have my suspicions about that news story. Maybe just me though.
That's very interesting, it's not a story I've heard, but that's not to say it didn't happen, I don't how much we get to know about the release of offenders who have their identities changed.

What she did is beyond the realms of rational comprehension, and a whole life tariff was probably appropriate, but if she had been released and never troubled the justice system again, would that justify the parole system after she served more than 30 years in prison? Just a thought.

Very well said, I have to agree BF.

Nope your not on your own in thinking that..the prison grapevine,which is very rarely wrong ,is bent in that direction too

I know he's re-offended and it indicates failings of the system, but that indiscretion will be of real importance when he becomes eligible for parole, the people reviewing, far from giving him the benefit of any doubt, would probably need really compelling reasons to release him.

Fair comment..but why wasn't his parole revoked after the assault offence and the coke possession...no benefit of the doubt there

She is a rational, intelligent woman

Rational, intelligent and woman, all in the same sentence. Not something heard every day:D.

I'm talking about trying to help a damaged child

He/it is not a child though:confused:.

I have stated that there was a reason for it.

And others on here have stated thier views.

BTW... There are no reasons for this kind of behaviour, only excuses.

You are right, it is not an excuse for people who are raised awfully, to do this...but it IS, sometimes, a REASON.

You are wrong, it is not a reason for people who are raised awfully, to do this...but it IS, sometimes, an EXCUSE!

again, that's not what I said at all.

It (sort of) does appear that way:(.

What an inane, pointless, and ill-educated, irrelevant comment.

Don't worry. We've read enough from you.

Fair comment..but why wasn't his parole revoked after the assault offence and the coke possession...no benefit of the doubt there

I think if you look at the individual offences, they were probably not imprisonable ones, even though technically he'd breached his license conditions and was subject to recall.

Archived