Jon Venables pleads guilty & gets 2 years

Fair comment..but why wasn't his parole revoked after the assault offence and the coke possession...no benefit of the doubt there

There was no assault offence. - He claimed it was self-defence and the Police believed him. I think we have to accept that.

As far as the cocaine offence went, that should at least (IMO) have set off a few warnings ... not because possession of cocaine is an offence (plenty of people seem to get off with a caution for possession of small amounts) but rather because he was aware that he was out on licence. The threat of being returned to prison doesn't seem to have been much of a deterrent to him and if he's not going to be overly concerned about receiving the most serious penalty society can award him then that may raise questions about the likelihood of him re-offending.

That's very interesting, it's not a story I've heard, but that's not to say it didn't happen, I don't how much we get to know about the release of offenders who have their identities changed.

What she did is beyond the realms of rational comprehension, and a whole life tariff was probably appropriate, but if she had been released and never troubled the justice system again, would that justify the parole system after she served more than 30 years in prison? Just a thought.

I just don't know BF. It's an hard one to call. Death by lethal injection would be much easier, although I often wonder what the long term public perception would be if the death penalty was reinstated. After all, it would merely serve as a cheaper form of state punishment, and would that really appease public anger?.. It's a tricky one BF.

There was no assault offence. - He claimed it was self-defence and the Police believed him. I think we have to accept that.

As far as the cocaine offence went, that should at least (IMO) have set off a few warnings ... not because possession of cocaine is an offence (plenty of people seem to get off with a caution for possession of small amounts) but rather because he was aware that he was out on licence. The threat of being returned to prison doesn't seem to have been much of a deterrent to him and if he's not going to be overly concerned about receiving the most serious penalty society can award him then that may raise questions about the likelihood of him re-offending.

The way the rules of parole stands self defence is no excuse for a parolee assaulting another person ,the very fact that he has retaliated is excuse enough to revoke parole irrespective of mitigation

I just don't know BF. It's an hard one to call. Death by lethal injection would be much easier, although I often wonder what the long term public perception would be if the death penalty was reinstated. After all, it would merely serve as a cheaper form of state punishment, and would that really appease public anger?.. It's a tricky one BF.

I don't believe the death penalty will ever be reinstated danot, I'm a firm believer in there being good reasons why it was abolished in the first place, having been legal for many centuries.

There will always be people who murder, how we deal with them is a significant issue and reflects on us as a society.

I don't believe its any coincidence that the countries who have retained it and other barbaric forms of punishment, are generally the ones who have variable regard for human rights and respect amongst individual members of their communities.

Should Venables & Thompson have been executed? Well we certainly wouldn't have been hearing of Venables latest raft of offences, but we wouldn't have learned much about the behaviour of children who kill either-the major point for me is that living in a society that condoned the execution of children, however 'mad, bad or evil', would make me sick to my stomach-there's no virtue in that scenario.

Death by lethal injection would be much easier, although I often wonder what the long term public perception would be if the death penalty was reinstated. After all, it would merely serve as a cheaper form of state punishment.

California

Report of the California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice

“The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate. With California’s current death row population of 670, that accounts for $63.3 million annually.”

Cheaper? Are you sure?

this parasite has ruined countless lives i think him and all the other nounces need to be put down they drain our funds and plaugue our hospitals eg ian huntey would go on hunger strike and be admitted to hospital for feeding ask yourself this if we killed off child killers and used the money to help fund our health services

amazing how many pervs find god while locked up this way they get to meet him sooner

this parasite has ruined countless lives i think him and all the other nounces need to be put down they drain our funds and plaugue our hospitals eg ian huntey would go on hunger strike and be admitted to hospital for feeding ask yourself this if we killed off child killers and used the money to help fund our health services

amazing how many pervs find god while locked up this way they get to meet him sooner

I don't care what you think, what's Harpo and Chico think?

Why! that's the most ridiculous thing I ever hoid!!!!

Archived