Jon Venables pleads guilty & gets 2 years

I don't believe the death penalty will ever be reinstated danot, I'm a firm believer in there being good reasons why it was abolished in the first place, having been legal for many centuries.

There will always be people who murder, how we deal with them is a significant issue and reflects on us as a society.

I don't believe its any coincidence that the countries who have retained it and other barbaric forms of punishment, are generally the ones who have variable regard for human rights and respect amongst individual members of their communities.

Should Venables & Thompson have been executed? Well we certainly wouldn't have been hearing of Venables latest raft of offences, but we wouldn't have learned much about the behaviour of children who kill either-the major point for me is that living in a society that condoned the execution of children, however 'mad, bad or evil', would make me sick to my stomach-there's no virtue in that scenario.

Yes, agreed.

California

Report of the California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice

“The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate. With California’s current death row population of 670, that accounts for $63.3 million annually.”

Cheaper? Are you sure?

That comes as a surprise. Wait a minute, did your source of information state whether the $90,000 included the death-row inmates wedding expenses?:hihi:

Well I've got children too, and still don't feel like you do. If the same had happened to one of mine obviously I'd be devastated, but an eye for an eye? I'd rather use my emotions to celebrate the life and love I had for a lost child than corrupting it with negative thoughts.

I'm not a fan of violence, but if anyone tried to tell me my children or your children were inferior to theirs, then I'd be going after them with something a little more lively than a Zippo.

So which one is it Mr Friday?

I'm afraid you're confusing my views on the death penalty with those of a pacifist, I've never claimed to be a pacifist.
So on one thread you're saying it's wrong to have the death penalty for murderers, even, say, if they kill somebody else's kids.

But on another thread you say that you would blow people up for just insulting your kids by suggesting they are inferior.

All sounds like one mixed up bunny to me - how are you going to back pedal out of this one?

Archived