Jon Venables pleads guilty & gets 2 years

That's a good point, the revulsion amongst the public that children can behave this way, creates strong views. Those who believe it's such an aberration that they should be eradicated from existence, and on the other hand people who believe children who err should be treated and punished like children.

I think if a proper diagnosis of psychopathy can be made then those individuals probably represent a high risk of re-offending. Others who might have one or two traits, might respond positively to treatment. Whether children are easier to treat or not I don't know, but as you say taken out of the poisonous environment that harvested their criminal mentality they might respond well (guessing).

Because crimes of this nature are so rare we don't have a lot of experience of other child murderers to go on, the only one I can think of is Mary Bell, and as far as I know she's stayed out of trouble and raised a child who is now and adult. Someone chatting innocently to her, would probably not believe her history, or call for her execution for the crimes she committed.

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown sums it up far better that I did:

Ian McEwen expressed the existential despair perfectly, saying: "The violent child is the most potent image of violated innocence. If we humankind are capable of this, perhaps we are beyond redemption." Some crimes can take away all our props, the structures we build to give sense and meaning to life. The boy killers are the forever unforgiven because they shook up the collective Western notions of morality, family, justice, motivation, culpability, sexuality and much else. They also exposed the festering and unattended swamps in our rich and self-regarding nation.

ref: Today's Independent

Being the curious soul that I am, I wondered if anyone could enlighten me on how the Judicial system actually works in regards to changing the identity of a convicted child murderer.

I know this may sound like a strange question to be asking but, should the present name and address of a convicted child killer on release ever be revealed to the public, leading to their name being yet again changed to protect their identity. Would future and previous employers need to be made aware of who they are due to their none existent work history details?

I think 'the kid' only has a bucket & spade to play with, he's not yet graduated to a pitchfork.

dont worry BF....someone is offering 100k for the scumbag to be done in....nice little earner if they can get at him....and in these hard times....the government would save money with his new id.....the screws might just turn their backs..result

intersting, but wrong. He's been on a downward spiral for years.

You obviously have some insider knowledge, judging by some comments you made on the other thread about this. Obviously that article was a very humane one, but we (the general public) are not privy to all the facts as you seem to be.

Being the curious soul that I am, I wondered if anyone could enlighten me on how the Judicial system actually works in regards to changing the identity of a convicted child murderer.

I know this may sound like a strange question to be asking but, should the present name and address of a convicted child killer on release ever be revealed to the public, leading to their name being yet again changed to protect their identity. Would future and previous employers need to be made aware of who they are due to their none existent work history details?

This may partly answer your question.

This may partly answer your question.
That's interesting, as Mr justice Bean clearly states that if Venables were to be tried and convicted of a crime under his new name, it would automatically become public record, the consequences of which would have been brought on by himself. Which quite clearly isn't the case.

Thanks for that Suff1, it partly answers my question as you say, so if anyone else can add to this, it would be much appreciated.

• 3 years later...

Archived